• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

I'm Trying To Find Some High-quality Forums About Social Media Mar

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

Hello my name is Rudy Sims it's been a while since I posted so I probably should introduce myself once again. I have a disability called cerebral palsy and I am in a wheelchair. I am 31 years old. I run several websites for people with disabilities. I love this forum I've learned a whole lot over the years. I have visited this site frequently since it started. I have a lot of self-taught experience I have been on the Internet since before there was a World Wide Web. I started creating websites in 1995. My first webpage was on AOL.

This forum is a great place to keep up with search engine optimization and search marketing information. I wholeheartedly agree with Jill and the other moderators way of going about search engine optimization and marketing. I've done my best to create websites and social networking profiles that are useful and informative for people. I'm passionate about helping people and raising disability awareness. I'm trying very hard to make a difference even if it's a small one.

My question today is:

can anyone recommend some forums that focus on social networking and social media marketing issues that are high-quality and well run like this highrankings forum?

As with search engine optimization I am self-taught and I am always searching for high-quality information to read. I find well-run forums to be an invaluable tool for learning. So finding some forums that specifically focus on social networking and ethical social media marketing would be great. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide. Have a wonderful day :-)

Sincerely
Rudy Sims

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Don't know of any, but we do have a social media marketing category here if you have any specific questions.

#3 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 2 2009, 05:28 PM) View Post
Don't know of any, but we do have a social media marketing category here if you have any specific questions.

thank you for the response Jill I wasn't aware that you have a social media marketing category here in this forum I have not been here in a while. Thanks for all your hard work. Your willingness to share your expertise and experience has helped me a lot.

sincerely,
Rudy Sims

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

It's a pretty tough question to answer to begin with.

Social Networking and Social Media Marketing if anything encompass even larger and more diverse space than traditional SEO. That sounds strange, but with SEO a large part of the equation comes down to getting listed on Google, with perhaps Yahoo and Bing/MSN thrown in for good measure. Getting listed pulls traffic, hopefully well qualified traffic if done correctly. With traditional SEO pretty much the same things work for all three, so it's pretty simple in the grand scope.

The Social Marketing space is a lot more diverse. For instance you wouldn't market your blog the same way you would market on Twitter (obviously, with Twitter's 140 character cut off) or for that matter on Facebook or Digg or Friendster or Digg, etc, etc. And what about YouTube? Is that a Social Network or just a collection of videos? Each platform is so different that you're pretty much forced to have a different plan of attack for each.

There is definitely some cross over IMHO, but to get the most out of any of these platforms you need to take advantage of their particular strengths. Probably the only constant that exists in all of them is to make sure your personality flows through whatever you do on any social network. You do that to get people to like you, because when people like you they'll help spread the word and actually buy from you as well.

Like Jill I've not see anything that addresses it as a whole spectrum. In fact I can't say that I've seen a course I could feel comfortable recommending as a Must Have for any of the various platforms. There are bits and pieces here and there, but nothing that really lays out a Best Approach type of scenario.

Maybe it's all still just too new to have anything that's tried, tested and proven. Speaking for myself I can say I've been tinkering with different things that incorporate some forms of social media marketing (with an SEO component too) for the last year or so. Some have worked amazingly well. A couple have even gone viral. But I hesitate to believe the little tids and bits I've learned by doing are the whole story. Or even half the story.

#5 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

Seth Godin has one called Triiibes.

Trouble is that it is invite only and only lets a batch of people in infrequently (5500 members in SM marketing).
Hang around Seth,s blog and your chance will come.
I became a member with the last batch this year

As far as I am concerned Seth has captured the nuances well for SM.
His books and blog are comparable to HiR quality

S

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

That's a really good recommendation Stephen. Dunno how the Tribes book completely slipped my mind. I think it's still available on Amazon too.

While the Tribes book may not tell you exactly how to go about social marketing for specific platforms it'll definitely give some insight and get a person in the right mindset. I assume his approach and insight in new world marketing techniques is continued in his course, though I've never been around or watching when it had openings.

#7 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

thanks so much for the recommendation I will definitely visit his blog periodically and see if I can get an invite. As I said elsewhere on highrankings I am very active in social media but I am always looking to learn new things. Best wishes, Rudy Sims

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:29 AM

As far as I am concerned Seth has captured the nuances well for SM.

Really? Since Seth doesn't even participate on Twitter nor allow commenting in his blogs, it seems to me that he doesn't truly understand social media marketing.

Maybe he participates under a pseudonym or sumthin...

#9 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

He uses SM in a different way than most but the basics are the same.
SM success is measure in reputation enhancement - he has that in spades.
He differs in that he does offer access but only in certain niches where his bang for effort is high.

Twitter and FB are the Model T cars of SM - IMHO
I operate a SM group for harpists.
You will not hear about it as it is private but harpists invite other harpists in all the time
This is the next generation of SM
That is the level where Seth works more openly.

S

#10 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 3 2009, 09:29 AM) View Post
Really? Since Seth doesn't even participate on Twitter nor allow commenting in his blogs, it seems to me that he doesn't truly understand social media marketing.

Maybe he participates under a pseudonym or sumthin...

He doesn't use twitter?

He doesn't allow commenting on his blog

As usual I will have to do more investigation after reading this forum. This forum is not only a great place for learning. But it is always full of vibrant discussion and differing opinions. Thanks again for your continuing input everybody. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day so far.

sincerely,
Rudy Sims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!