• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How Do They Know Where I Am?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 siringo

siringo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:58 AM

Hello all, has been a while since my last time visiting here. I've been very busy building my widgets (as mentioned in my shopping cart post of some time back) and have looked into exporting into the Us and the Uk and importing from China, crazy stuff indeed.

Anyway, I was just wondering how all these adverts know where I come from. I just left a site and all these lovely looking young ladies seemed to know the name of the small Australian country town I live in. It's really funny, coz I am absolutely 1000000% sure that there are not that many gorgeous young ladies in my town.

I don't use ADSL so they can't track it down to the closest telephone exchange, I use a proprietary wireless arrangement that bounces back to another larger town. But the adverts are able to track me down to a town closer to me than the aforementioned town.

Thanks for any help and hello to Jill and Randy.

#2 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

You should know

It is your Ozzie animal magnetism.
Women sense it from anywhere {grin}

Tracking cookie?

#3 Hank Cowdog

Hank Cowdog

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Location:Chair, Den, Wylie, Outside Dallas, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Do a Google search for "geo ip tracking".

Basically, the IP blocks for the many various ISPs are mapped back to a physical address (often the address of the ISP itself). The accuracy of this varies widely (for example, all dialup AOL visitors _used_ to map back to Virginia, their corporate headquarters location).

For me (based in the Dallas, Texas area with FIOS access to the Internet via Verizon), the GEO IP mapping usually shows ads for a town about 9 miles away, rather than another similarly sized town that is only 3 miles away. I have also occasionally seen local ads for Kanas City, Kansas, which is 600 miles away, which I assume was due to some temporary routing issue with my national ISP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!