• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

My Strategy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bigmojo

Bigmojo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:10 AM

Hi, I'd like to run this past you. I am devising a small electrical equipment retailer's web strategy. At the moment they are doing practically nothing except updating products, of which there are a few thousand. They don't monitor their web stats and rarely add content. They do zero keyword research and they also dont seem to include any aspect of 'web' in their rare marketing briefings. needless to say press releases never go onto digg or contain keywords. online or offline. Typical of many companies they are also very busy and no member of staff seems to have the time to engage with any of this.

I happen to work here on a part time basis because I am going through a career change but have been asked to look into this for them which I do rather than answer the phone.

I have put together a strategy which indicates to them that they should be generating content that their customer base would actually want to read. And that they should develop it from the perspective of winning hearts and minds and not just a facile way of gaining poorly qualified traffic.

We work in an enthusiasts/hobbyist industry and have a GREAT deal of expert knowledge within the business and the generation and promotion of content has been allowed for. This goes from identifying Business Key Result Areas (KRA) and target market, through Keyword Research to Generating Content and promoting the content (using various tools that are available) and obtaining backlinks

To assist the management of the project I have built two very comprehensive excel spreadsheets

1) Activity planning. Namely what content is being written, what keywords, what points to what pages etc.... what areas of the site are missing what/ gap analysis etc...
2) Tracks statistical activity. Natural Search, Affiliate, Paid traffic levels over time.... ROI, Conversion Rate....

My question is that one of the areas I want to look at is getting them to measure their Google PR and SERPS for their chosen keywords. We have identified 155 key pages on the site (these are not product pages) and I wish to target 4 or 5 keywords for each page. We are not uniquly targeting these because I understand there is a lot of personalised search results out there anyway, so the content should be natural. But this is a way of guaging the success of the project, aside from on site behaviour and conversion rates. I appreciate it is not a great use of time to contantly monitor SERPS numbers for each keyword of each of the 155 pages. And Google PR can be gathered every month or so.

I have a couple of questions.

1) Does this sound like a good strategy?
2) Their site is a retail site with Category, Sub Category and Product pages and no space for articles, guides or reviews. Is it a better to place the new guides, and reviews content (with links to the retail pages) into a separate domain, have a sub domain or place it in a regular folder within our usual page structure. We want to do whatever is open and honest and not try to trick search engines.

I would appreciate your views.

Keith (UK)

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

You may want to rethink your measures for success. No sense measuring rankings and especially no sense measuring PR.

You want to measure targeted traffic to the website, as well as conversions.

#3 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

1) this is where i differ from Jill, in that if your category and product keyterms are relevant to your products and services, then serps are VERY important. Any part of an organic SEO campaign is dependant on serps and traffic, the two go hand in hand... otherwise, why bother.
You dont monitor every keyterm of course, that'd be daft. you can gauge a good representation across the board by focusing on your main category terms, and a good handful of product/article terms. you also measure how many keyterms are sending referrals, and these should increase the as site visibility increases. Hundreds or thousands of smaller keyterms may only send 1 visitor each, but put them all together and you have a huge web presence.

2) your products link to reviews, not the other way round. Articles link to products.
2) reviews, articles and guides stay on the same domain, no question. Use an articles CMS if there isnt on already installed.

as an extra bit, you seem to be quoting from a marketing cookbook.. best read up on some of the technicalities of onsite SEO and web structure too. You're going to need it if you're doing this yourself. And if you're planning on doing this part time.. i suggest you ask for a new contract smile.gif

Edited by adibranch, 30 October 2009 - 09:43 AM.

#4 Bigmojo

Bigmojo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:41 AM

Jill,

thanks for your reply.

Absolutely agree. I fully intend to measure targeted traffic through landing pages and conversion rates from those pages as well. The measurement of SERPS and PR is to give the business an idea of how well the optimisation is working against particular keywords. Its about giving management some insight into how fit for purpose their site is.

#5 Bigmojo

Bigmojo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Oct 30 2009, 02:37 PM) View Post
1) this is where i differ from Jill, in that if your category and product keyterms are relevant to your products and services, then serps are VERY important. Any part of an organic SEO campaign is dependant on serps and traffic, the two go hand in hand... otherwise, why bother.
You dont monitor every keyterm of course, that'd be daft. you can gauge a good representation across the board by focusing on your main category terms, and a good handful of product/article terms. you also measure how many keyterms are sending referrals, and these should increase the as site visibility increases. Hundreds or thousands of smaller keyterms may only send 1 visitor, but put them all together and you have a huge web presence.

2) your products link to reviews, not the other way round. Articles link to products.
2) reviews, articles and guides stay on the same domain, no question. Use an articles CMS if there isnt on already installed.

as an extra bit, you seem to be quoting from a marketing cookbook.. best read up on some of the technicalities of onsite SEO and web structure too. You're going to need it if you're doing this yourself.

many thanks adibranch.

The product ranges are VERY related to search terms. But sometimes when people search they aren't sure what they want so they go on spec a little. Hence the landing pages which could be any type of article. we plan on How to Guides, Introduction to Articles, Reviews, comparative reviews (for new/old models) etc... I think we see these all as landing pages hence the desire to link to the products pages but also (obviously) plan to link back from the product pages to the reviews. With the how to guides linking to products and other introductory pages linking to ranges of products of products by manufacturer.

I would be interested in monitoring the succesful keyphrases and working on those some more. Thats a good idea which I hadn't thought of.

I agree on the articles staying in the same domain and thank you for the confirmation. We are looking at wordpress but there are other techy IT till integration issues at hand as well.

I know I may seem to be quoting from a marking handbook but I'm not. I used to build and design sites prior to management and am 'kind of' familiar with some of the on page elements required, the importance of titles and H tags. But I come at the issue from the perspective of the WAI and CSS with the reforms we had on those issues here in England in 2001-2003 (iirc)

on the subject of a new contract, I'm actually going full time here but like everyone else in England no-one has any money so I think a new contract is slightly unlikely sad.gif

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:03 PM

give the business an idea of how well the optimisation is working against particular keywords

Exactly. Which is what your Google Analytics will tell you.

#7 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

wordpress is a good choice for your articles.. google loves it !

#8 Bigmojo

Bigmojo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 30 2009, 06:03 PM) View Post
Exactly. Which is what your Google Analytics will tell you.

Thanks Jill, makes perfect sense but how can Google Analytics tell which traffic came from which keywords?

Another reason for wanting to track SERPS and PR was this is how the business want to evaluate renumeration to a degree. I guess I'll have to talk them out of it.

#9 Bigmojo

Bigmojo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

QUOTE(Bigmojo @ Nov 11 2009, 09:21 AM) View Post
Thanks Jill, makes perfect sense but how can Google Analytics tell which traffic came from which keywords?

Another reason for wanting to track SERPS and PR was this is how the business want to evaluate renumeration to a degree. I guess I'll have to talk them out of it.

Actually Jill I think i might be being a bit stupid here.... Is it that I simply track the traffic to those landing pages and that this will therefore be whatever terms and/or broad matches of those terms that those pages are targeting?

The more I think about it the more it strikes me that religiously tracking very slow moving page ranks and SERPs is not a particularly fruitfull use of my time.

Thanks for pointing this out

#10 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Checking the SERPs does help you keep track of cause and effect.

If you start seeing increased traffic for a particular keyphrase, but your rank hasn't moved up, then an outside influence is likely causing more people to search for that keyphrase and hit your site. Assuming it's making you money, it may be a good reason to start targeting that phrase more aggressively.

Obviously rankings aren't the end-game, but using them as a reference point can help you make good business decisions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.