• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Web Site Review Forum

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

I joined the forum in March 04

I was tempted to join, after a hanging around awhile, by the offer of a free website review.

In fact, that is how i found the forum in the first place, by Googling that phrase.

I, like others, find the site reviews helpful and my vote is to keep it.

To have a members only section would would drive people away IMO

We all need a little help sometimes, especially the startups.

And that is what is great about this forum, there is always someone who helps cheers.gif

#17 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:19 AM

The whole subject is about allowing/or not the Search engines to spider the review content? or I'm missing something?

If so, I'll suggest the same thing I always suggest when it comes to Paid/Free options: Paid Features .

As madams said, the free website review (even if posting in that forum is restricted for some members) is a great Atou for HighRankings Forum. People hear about that, and that's why they come here.
Some of them find the restrictions (20 posts/Being active) too hard to achieve, so they just leave, others find posting in and reading this forum interesting .. So they become active members, and may get a review soon or later.

If these members, want some more "custom reviews" (no search engine spidering / better SEO tips) they may include premium features when creating the thread (This model is being used in different webmasters forum right now, others are implementing it, and it seems working great).

My thoughts ...

#18 HJB

HJB

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

I think something will be lost if it just turns into a 'paid for' feature. Certianly, a charge for premium services would be sensible, but all I was hoping to achieve is that the present board work better by making it members-only to keep out the spiders. I thought the point of the Web Site Review board was for feedback from other members (and Moderators), not a professional in-depth review by Moderators.

#19 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:14 PM

Well, as Madams says, the site review forum does bring people who search. Having those reviews available to all brings in new members and encourages them to participate if they'd like a review.

Hiding them is a benefit to those who want to hide their information, but blocks a lot of useful information from being searchable.

As Jill said, I don't see the benefit to the forum in hiding the reviews.

#20 HJB

HJB

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Hi Scottie,

Well, one way this could be achieved is to create a sub-board, and if the poster wishes to keep the editity of their site unspiderable, they make a post on the sub-board with a link to their site, and then a link to that post in thir post to the Web Sire Review board.

Another posibility (and it depends upon what is possible with this forum software), is to have the board title and description available to guests, but the board content (treads) available only to members. The content does not have to be spiderable to be useful, so long as the description remains (which is more probable to conatin possible search terms anyway), and a good feature that encourages participation has value in of itself.

There is no point in the present content being searchable if what the search returns does not encourage participation, which is the present situation. The Web Site Review board is far quieter than I would expect for an environment such as this, especially given your traffic (I've noticed that although HR tends to have few members logged in, there are usually scores of guests).

#21 HJB

HJB

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(HJB @ Nov 3 2009, 11:44 PM) View Post
Well, one way this could be achieved is to create a sub-board, and if the poster wishes to keep the editity of their site unspiderable, they make a post on the sub-board with a link to their site, and then a link to that post in thir post to the Web Sire Review board.

Even better, I seem to recall that some forum softwares allow (or have modifications available) members to post text that is only viewable to (logged in) members.

#22 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,775 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 07:41 PM

The Web Site Review board is far quieter than I would expect for an environment such as this,

Like I said before, it's because we don't really want to encourage them. It's supposed to be only a service for those who are a true part of our community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!