• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Indexing Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EMcM

EMcM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

I optimised a Website last summer and I'm having a problem getting it indexed.
It was getting a small amount of traffic from Google maps, but after I optimized the site, Google isn't indexing the new pages. I put re-directs on the old pages...some of them go to the site, some of them go to a blank page.
The new pages were uploaded the last day of July....is it taking Google that long to index new pages?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Yes, it can take that long, especially if the site doesn't have many other sites linking to it, or Google has had some issue with it in the past.

I made a bunch of changes to a small site around late August or early September. Google's cached version of the site's home page is still showing what the bot saw on August 15. I've checked in Webmaster Tools under Site configuration > Settings and the following message appears:
Your site has been assigned special crawl rate settings. You will not be able to change the crawl rate.

So I wait. I plan on doing a little link building in the next few weeks, and maybe that will help.

One thing I'd recommend for you is to stop redirecting old URLs to a blank page. I'm sure that's not helping. Either redirect them to a useful page, or let the server respond to requests for them with a 404 so the search engines will stop trying to reach them.

#3 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:15 AM

it depends what you mean by optimised the site.. and as qwerty said the redirects to a blank page are a bit pointless.
If you uploaded the pages in july you'd have expected to see a good chunk of them indexed by now.

#4 EMcM

EMcM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Oct 28 2009, 03:15 AM) View Post
it depends what you mean by optimised the site.. and as qwerty said the redirects to a blank page are a bit pointless.
If you uploaded the pages in july you'd have expected to see a good chunk of them indexed by now.

The re-directs wern't intended for a blank page. Apparently there's a security issue with the re-direct and I don't understand what that's about.
When I do a site: search the same 6 pages are indexed as there were before I amde the changes

#5 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

redirects dont carry security issues, unless they've been done completely wrong.

1) are your old pages still visible in the site?
2) do the redirects actually work?

#6 EMcM

EMcM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Oct 28 2009, 08:58 AM) View Post
redirects dont carry security issues, unless they've been done completely wrong.

1) are your old pages still visible in the site?
2) do the redirects actually work?

I have limited technical skills and I outsourced implementation on this project.
The old pages are not visible. If I download the site, how can I check the re-directs?

#7 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE(EMcM @ Oct 28 2009, 01:02 PM) View Post
I have limited technical skills and I outsourced implementation on this project.

I suggest you ask for your money back smile.gif It sounds a mess.

Simple question here.. If the old pages are no longer visibile, do they redirect to the new ones?
For a redirect checker, plenty of tools online, such as http://www.webconfs....irect-check.php

#8 EMcM

EMcM

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

Thank you....I think I've identified the problem

#9 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members