• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

A Domain Name Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cryffmoon

cryffmoon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Ok

I work for a language school and our website comes in different translations.

Should the domain names for these be (for example)

www.languageschool.co.uk/japanese

or

www,languageschool.jp

would the first one give better ranking on google.co.uk and the other for google.jp or does it make no difference?

thanks

Chris

#2 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

stick with the same site if possible.. too complicated for users and admin to use seperate sites. Or, even better, use a language pack and just call the different languages via a function.

#3 cryffmoon

cryffmoon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Oct 21 2009, 06:01 PM) View Post
stick with the same site if possible.. too complicated for users and admin to use seperate sites. Or, even better, use a language pack and just call the different languages via a function.

but would www.languageschool.jp make a big difference with the google ranking for www.google.jp or is it not worth it?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

I think it's probably going to depend at least somewhat on something you've not mentioned one way or another cryffmoon.

Will your company actually have a physical presence in Japan to go along with having an offering for the Japanese market? Or is this simply an Available In XX Language type of situation.

The use of ccTLD's is really supposed to be for sites that have a physical presence in a country. Some countries even require that you provide an in-country address with the domain registration in order to get a ccTLD.

Long story short, yes the search engines do look at the ccTLD as an indicator for in-country types of searches. It may or may not make much difference for your site since these days I believe most if not all of the Google regional versions default to Search Worldwide instead of Search In-Country.

I know some of my own sites (all .com and all English language) seem to rank just fine in the regional search engines, based upon the click data I've collected from real users in those countries as collected by the little GRE tool I have installed to see those clicks and ranking data. Often they sites will actually rank better in the regional engines than they do in the global .com version of Google, most likely because of less competition.

#5 cryffmoon

cryffmoon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the help.

#6 mountainbound

mountainbound

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

From a branding best practices perspective, we would like to purchase international domains to prevent misuse etc. We are using a subdomain (www.uk.ourdomain.com), but want to set up some country specific redirects. There are a lot of variations out there, however.

I realize that some countries do not allow you to purchase domains with country extensions if you don't have a physical presence in the country, but even still, there are many options. For example, we are looking at .uk.com, and .co.uk... but what is the difference between a .uk and .gb in terms of usage? Do people/businesses have a preferred extension? Also, I'm not sure I understand what .uk.com means, as I always believed that the thing before the .com was the domain, and I doubt that the domain .uk is up for grabs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!