• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does Http://site.com/aff?clickid=34325345 Pass The Juice?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SEOIvan

SEOIvan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hey, new here smile.gif, very clean corner you got biggrin.gif.

Have a question. We have an affiliate program at the company which uses tracking IDs in the URL:
site.com/aff?ClickID=34325345

This creates duplicate contnet, which according to Google is filtered well: googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/09/google-duplicate-content-caused-by-url.html

The bigger question however, do those links get the credit?

I suggested using 301 redirect and putting affiliate cookie, but we have total of 4 affiliate programs now (Canada and US with CJ and Canada / US with another software), the bosses do not want to create 2 more, which will create management problems and confusion.

So being stuck with affiliate IDs in the URL, do you know if they pass some value?

I view affiliate program as a link building tool, and clearly this is a road block... Anyway, your opinion smile.gif

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,958 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

I think your last line summed it up. You really shouldn't be viewing your affiliate program as a link building tool. It's purpose should be to be a salesforce.

I believe that the search engines prefer not to count affiliate links as links that count for link popularity purposes, making whatever you do possibly suspect in their eyes.

That said, I'd do the 301-redirect anyway if at all possible.

Others may have some more technical solutions for you.

#3 SEOIvan

SEOIvan

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

I'll push for it... Though the affiliate program is a growth tool, I find it is perfect for link building. It provides value to the webmaster, which is the most important offer. Leaving that massive potential without any SEO value just feels like we're loosinga lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!