• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect Vs Parking Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toptones

toptones

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:16 PM

I read thru as many of the redirect threads as my brain could handle but didn't see an specific answer to this (new here and trying to be good LOL)

Anyway, I am transferring a gym website to my hosting (removed). They currently have 2 domain names pointing to the same site. I think they did this because they have a women's only service and a co-ed. What is the best thing to do?
1. Keep the main one (determine best one) and park the other on top of it.
2. Keep one and do a 301 redirect for the other. If so, how do I do a 301 redirect on a domain name?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

Is the content of both sites identical then? This sounds like the case but I'm not sure where things stand currently.

As a general rule if you're working with a parking situation where the content is identical but is available on two domains you're going to be better off sitting things up so that one 301 redirects to the other. The reason being that you'll be concentrating all of those off site ranking factors (links, anchor text, etc) into a single location, rather than splitting it between two domains.

#3 toptones

toptones

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:26 PM

thanks Randy. yes the content is the same. so a friend tells me that I can use this code:
CODE
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

And I create a .htaccess file for the 2nd domain?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

You'd probably run into looping issues with something that all encompassing toptones. Technically the 2nd domain will already be sitting on top of the 1stdomain, so the rewrite rule would fire for every single request. Even requests that are already properly constructed.

Assuming these two things:

1. You want the final address to the www version of the maindomain, which is denoted in the example as www.maindomain.com
2. You do not make use of any subdomain addresses (eg sub.maindomain.com) type of addresses for this domain

The following is how I'd do it, using a Negative match instead of a positive match.

CODE
Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.maindomain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.maindomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

What the above does is analyze each request. If the request is for www.maindomain.com it does nothing and allows the request to happen as constructed. If the request is anything other than www.maindomain,com it fires the redirect. So in practice it would redirect requests for maindomain,com, www.2nddomain.com, 2nddomain.com, etc. Utilizing a negative match should stop any redirect loop issues for correctly formated requests.

#5 toptones

toptones

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

Thanks man. Awesome help. Can I send you a beer or somethin'? clapping.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:58 AM

A beer would be good, cept it would prolly get stolen by good ole Ernie. He would deny all knowledge of course.

It's tough having a thirsty old coot manning the pub I tell ya. jester.gif

#7 ScottHoff

ScottHoff

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

Randy,

I have a similar issue. I'm not the man who manages domains but I am the person that writes the websites.

I have 2 domains.

One is WIDGETS.com
The other is, widgetSellingCompanyName.com

I was very excited that no one had purchased widgets.com, but I need my domain to be the name of the company. In any case, i want people searching for "widgets" to be able to type "widgets" into the search engine and have the benefit of having the "widgets.com" domain.

This would be duplicate content.

I could just have one domain, but it really makes sense to have both be searchable...

I could create a separate mini site, about "widgets" and then link to my site if need be....

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

Might want to run a search on the forum for "keyword rich domains."

Short answer: your widgets.com domain will NOT rank for the word "widgets" simply because of the domain name. You will have to spend the time/energy/money to optimize that site same as you would any other -- copywriting, internal navigation, external link building, etc. In essence, you'll be doubling your workload. mf_type.gif

IMO, you'd be better off investing in optimizing your "real" company domain for the word "widgets" (which, assuming you sell widgets, you should be doing anyway) as well as any other relevant keywords associated with your products/services. Then that site has a shot at ranking for all appropriate keywords (including "widgets") which -- since it's the real company site to start with -- is likely to result in more sales/leads/whatever for your business.

Unless you have some business reason (not "SEO", but a real-world, bricks-and-mortar type business purpose) for the widgets.com domain, simply 301 redirect widgets.com to the "real" company domain and save yourself a lot of hassle.

My penny.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.