• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Www. Vs Http:// And Backlinks

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cdc515

cdc515

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:06 PM

Okay so i have recently checked my backlinks and i noticed that there are many going to the form mywebsite.com and only a few going to www.mywebsite.com i was wondering in the eyes of the search engine does it see this as two different websites and give them both two different rankings?

if that is the case how can i go about making all the PR from one go to the other so that i only have 1 pagerank for my website?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:42 PM

Welcome cdc515 ! hi.gif

The search engines can see the two addresses as different, yes. Mainly because they are. That said, the search engines have gotten a lot better over the last couple of years with sorting out this type of thing all by themselves. FYI, it's called canonicalization.

You can tell if the fix is absolutely necessary by conducting a site:yourdomain.com type of search at each of the engines to see if they display both url versions. If they only show one or the other then they've already merged them for you. Personally, I don't like leaving this up to the engines. Not only because of SEO reasons, but because many of my sites have a secure SSL cert, which will display an error for users if they're using the wrong address.

As to how to fix it, the answer depends upon your server's type and capabilities.

If you're on a typical Unix/Linux server with mod_rewrite enabled the following would make the www version your default.

CODE
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourdomain\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

If you're on an IIS/Windows server you'll need access to IIS Admin Interface. I don't have the exact steps in front of me (I don't use IIS so don't have it memorized) but the basic gist is you need to set up another web site in IIS, eg the version not already there for your site, then set it up to redirect to the one you want. Make sure it's a "Permanent" redirect in the site properties in IIS, as this is what will make it a 301 redirect.

#3 cdc515

cdc515

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

I have madde my .htaccess file with that code and it still has not worked for me any idea why?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

No clue without more details.

Is your site hosted on a *nix based server? And if so does it have Apache's mod_rewrite module installed and enabled? And I'm assuming you changed the "yourdomain" bit in each line to be your actual domain, right?

If it's an IIS server or if mod_rewrite is not enabled, the above is going to have no effect.

#5 cdc515

cdc515

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 10 2009, 09:01 PM) View Post
No clue without more details.

Is your site hosted on a *nix based server? And if so does it have Apache's mod_rewrite module installed and enabled? And I'm assuming you changed the "yourdomain" bit in each line to be your actual domain, right?

If it's an IIS server or if mod_rewrite is not enabled, the above is going to have no effect.

I am not sure if my site host has a *nix server or a windows server. Also not sure if apache mod rewrite is installed i have contacted them and have asked.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

What the search engines have indexed is not going to change immediately.

Chances are they already knew that your www version was the same as your non-www version.

The way to check is view the cache for each and see what URL Google says you're looking at.

#7 cdc515

cdc515

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 11 2009, 10:31 AM) View Post
What the search engines have indexed is not going to change immediately.

Chances are they already knew that your www version was the same as your non-www version.

The way to check is view the cache for each and see what URL Google says you're looking at.

I have found out that my website is on this Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0

How do i go about redirecting my website

I am already signed into my web hosting acount what do i do now?

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

Signed into your control panel? Or do you mean the Admin Internet Services Manager panel for IIS.

You need the latter to do it the right way with IIS. Which is basically creating both the www and non-www as sites and then setting one to be a Permanent redirect to the version you want as your final destination. Note: There's a check box to make it Permanent.

If you don't have ISM Administrator privileges you'd either need your hosting company to do it for you (check their work to make sure it's a 301 Permanent redirect, the default will be a 302 which does you no good) or you could perhaps use a scripted redirect to kinda/sorta get things there.

I'm not a IIS person. Ian is though. He has a help page for IIS redirects up on his site here. It includes instructions on how to do it for the old www, non-www issue.

#9 cdc515

cdc515

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

ok i posted here a month ago and i have still not found my answer to this question. I hope you could help.

I do not host my webpage myself my webhost does it for me, anyways it is an iis server. my question is how do i perform a 301 redirect i have tried using iis 7 on my local machine and creating the www version and just the http:// version of the site and redirecting one to the other but that did not work. so i was thinking that i need access to the iss manager on the webhosts computer but how do i get that all i have access to is the Parallels Plesk Panel here is a picture of what i see

picpaste.com/see.bmp

Got any ideas on what i could do this is really annoying me.

#10 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Your original post is here and the answer remains the same. To do this right in IIS you need Admin Manager. If you don't have that, and many don't, you'll need to get your host to set up the redirect for you.

They may or may not charge for this service.

#11 cdc515

cdc515

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Nov 11 2009, 09:27 AM) View Post
Your original post is here and the answer remains the same. To do this right in IIS you need Admin Manager. If you don't have that, and many don't, you'll need to get your host to set up the redirect for you.

They may or may not charge for this service.

I have iis7 installed on my computer and i have IIS Manager on my computer is that the same as admin manager?

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:57 PM

Sounds like it to me, though I'm not an IIS person. Click through to the link I left to Ian's site in that other thread. I believe he even has screenshots.

But are you you talking about having access to that local computer? And I'm assuming that's not the same as the one where your web site is hosted?

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:14 PM

I merged these latest posts into the original thread for continuity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.