• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Before A Link Becomes Recognised By Google ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

Hi all

I have a feeling that this question might have been asked before - apologies if this is so.

Recently I've been writing articles on a couple of article sites, one of which has a PR of 6, in a vain attempt to improve our inbound link count (possibly links from places of authority ?). Aswell as this I've managed to sweet talk a couple of "similar niche, but not competitor" sites into giving us a couple of links from their PR 4 sites.

I was wondering how long I would expect to wait before seeing any benefits of this effort. I appreciate that it won't be an exact science, but was looking for a ball-park figure.

Many Thanks

ConfusedNewbie

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

I was wondering how long I would expect to wait before seeing any benefits of this effort. I appreciate that it won't be an exact science, but was looking for a ball-park figure.

Somewhere between now and never.

And the worst part is there's no way to even know if it counts for anything or not (most of the time).

#3 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 9 2009, 02:50 PM) View Post
Somewhere between now and never.

And the worst part is there's no way to even know if it counts for anything or not (most of the time).

On that basis then, the only strategy I can take is to keep throwing enough clay until it starts to resemble a statue, I guess...

#4 LizardSEO

LizardSEO

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

To get anything recognized, you are at the mercy of others, unfortunately. Google can index and display your content really whenever they feel like it, unfortunately.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE(ConfusedNewbie @ Oct 9 2009, 07:31 AM) View Post
On that basis then, the only strategy I can take is to keep throwing enough clay until it starts to resemble a statue, I guess...

I like that metaphor. I may steal it somewhere in the future.

#6 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Google has a major advantage when it comes to keeping us guessing. First off, they don't publish the rules, then on top of that, they will change the rules whenever they feel like it without telling us.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(piskie @ Oct 10 2009, 01:57 PM) View Post
Google has a major advantage when it comes to keeping us guessing. First off, they don't publish the rules, then on top of that, they will change the rules whenever they feel like it without telling us.

I disagree. There are no rules, it's all common sense. If you need Google to tell you what to do, you'll never be good at SEO. (Not you specifically, the general you.)

#8 cbp

cbp

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

I would assume Google recognizes a link as soon as it crawls and indexes the page that the link is on.

As it only shows a small random sample of backlinks for the link: operator, if the link appears or not appears in that sample has nothing to do if Google has recognized it or not.

#9 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:32 PM

Rules, criteria an algorithm etc - call it what you like, Google has it.
The fact that common sense will enable very good intuitive "Guessswork" doesn't change the fact that it's not published by Google nor do we get fully appraised when they deem to change it.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

doesn't change the fact that it's not published by Google nor do we get fully appraised when they deem to change it.

Well duh.

You want their algo handed to you on a silver platter? Seriously?

#11 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Merely illustrating a point relating to:
"There are no rules, it's all common sense."

#12 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Oct 9 2009, 11:25 PM) View Post
I like that metaphor. I may steal it somewhere in the future.

Link to my site and you can have it wink1.gif - kidding...

#13 ArtphotoasiA

ArtphotoasiA

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(piskie @ Oct 10 2009, 06:57 PM) View Post

I agree with you... general roules.... they are doing what they want .... beside good faith or not of SEO workers.

Is a nonsense at all that results (same keywords) from yahoo and other search engines are so different from google... and I do not mean position 10 or 20 but 1 and 100 or more...

I do not understand what google is doing but for sure is considereing the Real Content of a page in their own way... and for that I see much more result related to some algo... i feel content is not king to google anymore.

#14 caneman

caneman

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:39 AM

If wish I had the answer to your question... I know G has to crawl the link and then index it before it has a chance to "count". You can help G see your backling by pinging the site, or a few other methods to speed up the process. I know that page rank of the link also determines how fast G crawls it.

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE(caneman @ Feb 7 2010, 06:39 AM) View Post
I know that page rank of the link also determines how fast G crawls it.
Nope!

The same thing that creates "PR" also sets how "fast"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!