• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Site Is Not Banned But Not Indexing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wendyl821

Wendyl821

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

I have just finished building my client's site - <domain removed>. He originally had a two-page site (under that domain) but I did notice only the homepage got indexed. I didn't think anything of it at first.

After I built the site, I have created xml sitemap (submitted to Google Webmaster Tool & site explorer), implemented canonicalization, and etc. After a couple of months later, the site is still not being crawled properly - they only crawled the homepage. Therefore, I removed the robots.txt and .htaccess - in case anything that is blocking it from getting crawled.

View site:www.domainremoved.com - it's showing 0 and if you view it as site:domainremoved.com - it shows the homepage. When I checked Google Webmaster Tool, Google didn't send me any message. But the xml sitemap is showing me 0.

I have also checked the server status and I don't see anything alarming.

HELP! Thank you so much! Any advise will be great.

#2 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

well, despite the fact that the site has appalling server response and actually times out?

#3 Wendyl821

Wendyl821

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Oct 7 2009, 07:13 AM) View Post
well, despite the fact that the site has appalling server response and actually times out?

Thank you for letting me know! But I have just checked the server response. I have checked it and it says 200 OK - doesn't that mean it's okay?
Current Date and Time: 2009-10-07T06:13:25-0700
User IP Address: 68.17.47.98

#1 Server Response:
HTTP Status Code: HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Connection: Close
Pragma: no-cache
cache-control: no-cache
Refresh: 0.1
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:03 AM

I believe adibranch was probably referring to the site timing out, not the status code. Two different things.

FTR, I didn't get that when I loaded the site. No time out at all and it came right up. And I ran it through the DNS checker tool I use (DNSStuff.com in case you wondered) and it shows everything is okay for the site itself. There is an issue with its mailservers, but that won't have any effect on indexing.

This is a fairly new site, right? Or at least one that hasn't had a lot of work put into it yet?

If I had to guess the site probably doesn't have many or any quality links pointing to it. Brand new sites can get a bit of a break on this, but once a site has been up for awhile the search engines expect it to have attracted some decent links. If it has none or just a few the spiders simply aren't going to crawl deeply at all.

You need to give them a reason to fully index the site. Especially since you've already removed any possible technical issues from the picture by removing or correcting the robots.txt to make sure it's not blocking the spiders.

Get some good links pointing to the site and give 'em a month or two to find those and assign value to them.

#5 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

i was indeed referring to response time. I've just checked it again (even though your link has been removed despite it not being an active link, which is mind boggling but hey. I dont know how people are supposed to give advice when a site reference gets removed).

Anwyay, i've now seen the site, and re-read your original post, and agree with randy. Its a new site, and only the homepage will be indexed in most cases for the foreseeable future (ie many weeks)

PS - sort your CSS out, the menu hover resizes the text smile.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:05 AM

That's what Signatures are for adibranch. And signatures are not seen by the search engine bots. wink1.gif

There is a reason for those removals of domain references even if they're not linked. Several reasons actually. Beginning with the idea that I rather doubt Wendy would want this thread to start showing up for all searches that might bring up the domain in question.

#7 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:38 AM

Yep, over the years we have had people crying in their coffee, because in a search for their (or worse) their CLIENTS site kw/domain, a 'can you help me ' thread from HR has shown up on page1 due to the authority the forum has. Moderating is done to protect the membership, this is one such case as Randy says, sigs are there for that purpose.

I find it odd though that not even the homepage is spidered, that will get spidered by just visiting the site with the Google toolbar interative feedback facility turned on! It is normally pages other than the homepage that give issues.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

One correction OWG, since you didn't see the original when the domain was still in there. wink1.gif

The homepage is indeed indexed. None of the sub pages are though. Pretty much the normal thing we see.

Oh, and just for the record going back to the original post, submitting an XML Sitemap was never intended to help a site get indexed when the urls were already spider friendly. That's really for urls that have issues that the bots cannot get to via their normal methods. In this case it's going to be pretty much zero help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.