• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Ding Dong The Tag Is Dead

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

Seriously? Does that surprise anyone? I would have actually been shocked if my test didn't show that they still indexed it. Why would they suddenly turn it off.

Frankly, I'm kinda surprised that OWG and other's tests show it didn't index it. Not sure what the tests were.

If anyone wants to know my secret word, let me know and I'll pm you. I don't want to say it publicly because others might make it public thus affecting the test.

#17 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Is it not possible that KW tag contents already factored in will stay there, but any new KW Content will be ignored as in new pages etc..

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

Nope, cuz i just added the keyword into the tag after the announcement was made. The date of this thread, in fact. And it was a new page that Yahoo hadn't indexed yet, but was on the verge of (Google already had it indexed before I added the keyword.)

#19 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the clarification Jill

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

Just learned something else interesting about Yahoo. I had put up two different test words on two different pages. The first one indexed quickly and provided the results I've already mentioned.

But I just searched for my second word that's on a different page, which apparently is now indexed by yahoo, and what they showed was a search results page from my own site search. Funny thing is it was a site search for the exact word I was testing! They're not, however, pulling up the actual page of my site where the word is in the Meta keyword tag. This page is one level deeper down in my site from my first test, which might mean it's in a sort of supplementary results database if they do things at all like Google.

Now, I never did a site search on my site for that word, nor had I even told anyone about that second word. I had done a few searches at Yahoo for it over the past few days, however.

So I'm really not sure how or why they would put that word into our site search engine and then index the resulting page. (I've since blocked the search results pages in general from being indexed...which I thought I had already done, but apparently I hadn't.)

Weird...

#21 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

Please tell me that doesn't suggest that a Bot filled in a form.

#22 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

I don't see any other way they'd get that page. I knew Google filled out search boxes with weird words, but never knew how they chose the words to fill in.

In a way, choosing words in the meta keyword tag to fill in as it appears Yahoo has done makes a lot of sense.

#23 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

I gotta go and check my test page now . smile.gif

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,876 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

Okay, Yahoo is now showing both that search result page (from my site) plus the actual 2nd test page for my test word. I expect the search result one to fall out soon when they notice I blocked it via robots.txt

#25 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Oct 8 2009, 03:43 AM) View Post
This was in google. I took from there that google does use it asas a signal for part of spam identification, but not as a positive factor, or rather it has or can have a higher negative affect than positive.

So, I can conclude that having a meta keyword that matches the page content is a kind of immunity against spam (even for 1%) ?
If so, Yes meta keywords may have a certain positive affect ! at least for new websites .. no?

#26 Deaconlight

Deaconlight

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

I've run across examples where scraper sites have created pages based on the meta keywords in my pages. Not that I rely on scrapers for inbound links or traffic. I don't focus much on meta keywords but I try to throw in a few relevant ones (that match page content) while I'm writing the meta description.

#27 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

Another wild theory with no basis in fact Hic?

You can conclude meta keywords has any effect if you want. But you'd be wrong in Google at least. Test it for yourself, it's not that hard.

#28 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 19 2009, 10:23 AM) View Post
Another wild theory with no basis in fact Hic?

Hey Randy, why you seem angry about me?
I don't have the level to put theories .. I'm just trying to gather information (It happens to be from stupid question or notice sometimes) ..But it works!

And this time I have a proof :

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 19 2009, 10:23 AM) View Post
You can conclude meta keywords has any effect if you want. But you'd be wrong in Google at least. Test it for yourself, it's not that hard.

Thanks for the info goodjob.gif

#29 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,702 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

http://www.webmaster...a-keywords.html

The interesting thing is Google have indexed that thread and shows it for that made up word, even though I separated each letter with a space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!