• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Ding Dong The Tag Is Dead

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:14 PM

Jill has been telling people for years to ignore the meta keywords tag. I have been reminding people for years that Yahoo! and Ask still supported the tag.

Today at SMX East Yahoo! announced it had dropped support for the tag a few months ago (I have not tested their support of the tag in over a year).

I don't know what the status of Ask's support for the keywords tag is but I suppose few if any people will care now. I may run a test just to satisfy my curiosity.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Has anyone verified this to be true, or are we just taking their word for it?

I'm not sure I have any Meta keyword test pages set up anymore, but someone must, no? I think I'll go set one up now just to verify.

Hope it true, hope it's true, hope it's true! giggle.gif

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

I looked around and couldn't find any of my old meta keywords tests still up and running. And couldn't find any other public pronouncements coming from Y! or from others that might confirm it. But I did put a test page back up to see what it might or might not tell us.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

I should know more next week or so. Seems it takes ole Yahoo quite awhile to index some pages, so I'm not sure exactly when my page will be re-indexed.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

I haven't tested the meta keywords tag in over a year. I have been thinking about running a new test but it's not high on my list of things to do.

I'll look forward to hearing what others have to share.

#6 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 7 2009, 12:26 PM) View Post
I should know more next week or so. Seems it takes ole Yahoo quite awhile to index some pages, so I'm not sure exactly when my page will be re-indexed.

Jill, do you test by placing keywords in the tag, but not on the actual page, then searching for them after the page has been indexed?

Keep us up to speed with your results. I have champagne on ice, just in case it really is true!

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(Say Yebo @ Oct 7 2009, 07:54 PM) View Post
Jill, do you test by placing keywords in the tag, but not on the actual page, then searching for them after the page has been indexed?

Yes, that is exactly how it is done.

#8 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:43 AM

I have a test page (pr4) that has 3 words in the meta keyword tag, the page has been up since 2005 and it doesn't show up for the phrase, anbd hasn't for years in either yahoo or Google, despite there no other page online for google to return!

Safe to say they stopped using the KW data a long time ago.

The only thing I did notice previously with my other test pages was that when i stuffed (and i mean STUFFED) the kw meta with words that were not on the page then the ranking suffered slightly.

This was in google. I took from there that google does use it asas a signal for part of spam identification, but not as a positive factor, or rather it has or can have a higher negative affect than positive.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:07 AM

Yep, I use a nonsense word that shouldn't be on any other pages so that if the engine really wants to find something they might even look in the Meta keywords tag.

OWG, very interesting about your findings!

#10 BigStartups

BigStartups

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:58 PM

Same experience here as OldWelshGuy. I've got several sites (including some high PR site) where there are meta keywords that don't appear anywhere else in the page. Haven't shown up in Yahoo or any other search engines under those keywords for some time. Haven't even bothered to add keywords tags to anything I've worked on recently.

#11 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

Woot! Goodie, then I don't have to wait for slow poke Slurp to get around to indexing my new test page.

I suppose they should update their Help Pages then, cuz that's like the first place I checked to see if they'd removed the reference there to using the keyword meta. As of today it still says in one item

Use a "keyword" meta-tag to list keywords for each page of your website. Use distinct lists of keywords that relate to each specific page on the site. Do not use one broad set of keywords for the entire site.

Source: Yahoo! Search Topics > Search Indexing and Ranking > Search Ranking > How do I improve the ranking of my web site in the search results?

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:30 AM

Guess what guys. Yahoo DOES INDEED index the Meta Keyword tag.

My page shows up for my word.

So they are apparently liars, or don't even know what their own engine does.

#13 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:20 AM

Go get em' Jill ranting.gif

#14 Andy_Seo

Andy_Seo

HR 4

• Active Members