• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ubunto

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

Hi

Anyone use Ubunto operating system?

We are testing it out on an old laptop, seems very stable, there are lots of apps to download and best of all its free!

It comes with Openoffice.Org software.

Website here...

Any thoughts, is it a serious contender to Windows?

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

I used it once so I could boot from CD.

Prety cool you can boot an entire operating system from a CD, but I didn't really use it.

Let us know how you get on.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

Think booting from CD is nice 1dmf? With a lite version of *nix you can even have a working OS on a flash card. wink1.gif (It's one option in a project I'm working on, so I've been looking into it lately.)

I've tinkered with Ubuntu and several other Linux on PC's over the years Madams. In fact I've had Red Hat Linux machines forever. That's what all of my servers run down in Texas. It's also what's on my backup and test bed servers I have here on my local network. And I do have a 2nd drive with Ubuntu installed in my main PC so I can boot to it if I want, though I rarely do.

My dedicated machine is still a PC running Windows --XP Pro, 64 bit to get the RAM memory extension. 'Doze mainly because of some of the software I have to run that doesn't have a *nix equal, meaning I'd have to run Wine and hope. Frankly, I'd love to switch to a Mac for several reasons if I could just get over the fact that I'd be spending 5 or 6 times why I an buy a brand new PC for, one that I can continually upgrade when the need arises.

I freely admit that I wish Mac's were less expensive I'd be a convert to them totally if they were even in the neighborhood (meaning 2-3 times) what I can buy a new PC from local computer guy I've used for years. What can I say, I like having a local guy I can cart a computer over to to get it repaired and am a cheapskate. Plus I like getting a new computer ever few years to keep up with motherboard technology upgrades, but just can't see spending $3,000+ every few years for a computer. But it would sure be nice if I could buy the Mac software and install it on whatever hardware I wanted, like I can with Windows or Linux.

Now if one of the *nix guys would start to emulate what Macs do, I'd be very interested. whistling.gif

#4 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

Is there a problem with windows programs running on Linux such as Dreamweaver.

I jusr read HOW-TO: Dreamweaver running on Ubuntu in 10 EASY Steps! article and it may be 10 easy steps for him but jeeez!

And what is "Wine"?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

Wine is Windows emulator software. It basically allows you to run software built for a Windows OS on a Linux OS machine. Well, it does that most of the time. It's not quite the same as running software on a 'doze machine.

Thankfully a lot of developers seem to be moving towards non-OS dependent ways to code their apps. Using things like Adobe Air and such instead of cranking out a software version for Windows, another for Mac and yet a third for *nix flavors. If nothing else that's one of the reasons I like the whole concept of cloud computing and app sharing, because a built in requirement is that the apps run in multiple environments.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:14 AM

I hear ya Randy. I thought Apple ditching the RISC processor in favour of Intel, was them moving to a 'build your own apple' environment and simply users choose to buy Mac OSX

However, Apple still insist on Mac approved hardware at three times the price, else i'd be building myself mac machines for sure!

Cloud computing still scares me, you have no control over the app and there are security issues, fall out with the service provider and you could loose your data and applications, not a good situation to be in.

It's all very well apps using silverlight or adobe air / flash etc but that stil leaves them dependent on the required plugins and those plugins have OS dependencies, just look at the Vista x64 Falsh player issue! and I guess the Java VM is the same.

So it's not really removing the 'platform' specific issues, if anything it's kind of adding another dependency with the plugin.

All good fun though I guess, and it keeps us all in jobs if nothing else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!