• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Got An Pr6 Offer. They Trying To Trick Me?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Blueskied

Blueskied

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

I've received an offer for a linkexchange.
The page's like www....../bp/ and shows PR6 in the google toolbar.
Investigation showed that the page www..../bp/index.html is not even index by google.

So my questions:
1. Why does it show PR6?
2. Is this some kind of trick to get a link from a noob like myself?

Thanks, Karl.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hard to say what's what without seeing the details.

First /bp/ and /bp/index.html (or .php or .asp, etc) is not the same page address. So if you're looking at one or the other you'd need to look at the way it's known by Google to tell much of anything.

Second, they could be telling Google etal not to archive the page in their index. I've never tested it, but I assume they'd need to get the page crawled and probably noarchive it at the page meta level. It stands to reason if they flat out blocked spider access at the robots.txt level it would affect the assigning of PR, though as I said I've never tested it so the assumption might be completely off base.

You should be able to tell a lot by reviewing the source code of the page in question. Or the pages that link to it if you don't see anything in the target page's source code.

#3 Blueskied

Blueskied

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Thanks.

Here are the tinyurl-ed pages.
[urls removed since those will also pass value to them]

Why is /bp/ and /bp/index.html not the same page address? /bp/ usually resolves to index.html, doesn't it?
At least that's how it's done on my websites.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:56 AM

There's nothing funny in the page(s) you linked to. At least not when I looked, though I didn't try to disguise myself as being Googlebot to see if they're sniffing user agents. Nothing in the robots.txt blocking the page either.

If you do a search on Google like site:thedomain.de inurl:onlinespiele where that last part is actually in the url path you'll get a single page returned. And it's not either the bp/onlinespiele/ or bp/onlinespiele/index.ext address. The only URL Googles says they know about is the same page but at an address of bp/onlinespiele/?&aid=1359/. Which is yet a third url address for the same page.

Goodness only knows how it got a PR6. It would take more research than it's worth figure out frankly. If it makes sense from the users perspective for you to link to them, do it. If not, don't. You can never fully trust what the Toolbar PR says, and it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things anyway.

#5 Blueskied

Blueskied

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for taking a look!
I won't exchange links. This all seems pretty dodgy to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!