• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Server Move Oddities

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:03 PM

Just a quick note about moving sites (or a bunch of sites in my case) from one server to another one.

Yahoo! is still the odd duck among the major search engines when you move from one server to another, changing and forwarding the DNS to encourage re-caching by bots and users alike.

I moved 100 or so sites from one server to a new one this past weekend. The data migration happened Sunday and I flipped the DNS switch Sunday evening, pointing everything to the new server. Since I control the DNS on both servers even hits that went to the old server were forwarded to the new server.

All of the engines started picking up stuff from the new IP location Sunday night into Monday. All of them, including Yahoo!

The oddity is that 3 days later Yahoo! Slurp is still visiting the old server. Or technically it's visiting the old server and the new server, indexing the same domains on both servers. The only other search engine I've seen doing this, and I don't get a lot of hits and basically no traffic from them, is Baidu. They're also still indexing information from both servers.

As long as you're keeping the sites the same (I am in this case) when you move from one server to another, it's a no harm, no foul situation. Because even if they index the site from the wrong IP number real users are still going to end up in the correct place. Where it could cause a problem though is if you're changing a site while doing a server move. In this case I highly suspect they'd keep both the old and new pages in their index.

I have no idea why Slurp does this, but they pretty much always have. So it's something to be aware of if you're ever doing site development on a new server and then flip the switch all at once. In such a circumstance you'd probably want to take the site files down on the old server shortly after flipping the switch, after all of the real traffic has migrated to the new server via normal DNS propagation. In other words make it stop answering requests sent to the IP number in order to force them to index only the real site on the new server.

#2 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

What are you like at plumbing Randy?

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

Ha!

Jack of many trades, definitely not a master of that one madams. Though I can make a quick repair if the need arises.

I know enough about it that I actually managed to install a water filtering system in the house without causing a flood when the city finally started chlorinating its water system in the last year. I didn't want to have to taste their chlorine in my iced tea. And I built a little bathroom downstairs near my office is so I didn't have to trudge upstairs every time nature called. giggle.gif

I actually like doing that kinda stuff around the house. Just not enough to ever want to do it as a profession. Even though plumbing is not only quite lucrative but is a lot easier IMHO than this stuff we do creating useful web sites or running a server. After all, every plumber can count on the fact that water does pretty much always runs downhill. wink1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!