• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Importance Of Anchor Text In Internal Linking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

I'm looking into the possibility of converting the homepage of my site to a simpler Google-type layout. It's all just theory at the moment with a fairly low chance of implementation, but I'm still looking into the implications of actually doing it before trying to push the issue. This sort of design makes a lot of sense for our site as it has a very focused purpose.

We'd be moving from a standard 3-column layout to a simple search box. We'd keep our category navigation options underneath in order to both maintain our site linking structure and show which types of products we sell. Trouble is, it looks terrible having both a category logo and the accompanying anchor text down there, and the logos are extremely important for our customers to see.

So I'm toying with the idea of eliminating the anchor text from these entirely and just showing the logos (with proper alt and title attributes) instead. However, I'm concerned about it hurting the rankings of our category pages. Keeping these pages' rankings is vital. They're properly optimized for the terms we want, and the rest of the site navigation would remain intact once visitors got past that initial landing page. The anchor text would still be there for the other 350,000ish pages on our site - just not our homepage which is our most-linked page.

This would be a pretty drastic change for us no matter how well it was implemented. We'd be looking at all the angles pretty exhaustively, and the anchor text is just one of many issues to look into before even suggesting this change to the higher-ups. The other possibility would be keeping a sidebar there for navigation, but I'd like to avoid that if possible since it kinda defeats the purpose - I want the category navigation to be secondary because browsing is particularly bad for my niche.

Has anyone toyed with this at all?

Edited by Michael-F, 29 September 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:38 PM

So I'm toying with the idea of eliminating the anchor text from these entirely and just showing the logos (with proper alt and title attributes) instead.

Clickable images with descriptive alt attribute text are basically the same thing as their text-link counterparts, imo.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

Does your home page currently rank well for any searches (other than the site's name) that are bringing you business?

#4 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 29 2009, 05:15 PM) View Post
Does your home page currently rank well for any searches (other than the site's name) that are bringing you business?

Yes. Several of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!