• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Indexed But Lost All Good Rankings Overnight.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 susancalen

susancalen

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

I am doing SEO for about four years and never experienced such a dilemma. I would appreciate anyone's help, advice, input etc.

I have been doing SEO on a website for three months. I added title tags, meta keyword tags and unique content to all pages. I did keyword research and worked with the keywords that will bring in great traffic.

Everything went fine, I was on page 1, page 2 for the keywords I was trying to get the site ranked. The last time I checked up on the site was about 3 weeks ago, everything was fine.

One Friday I checked up on the rankings of keywords and saw that the site does not rank anymore for any of the keywords (About 25 keywords). All pages are indexed in Google but they do not rank for anything. I checked in Google Webmaster tools and everything look ok. Any ideas?

That company fired about a month ago a guy who did Google Adwords for them. Is it possible that this guy did something to affect the rankings? I don't think it's possible, but I am just asking if anyone knows of such a possibility.

Susan

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:22 AM

That company fired about a month ago a guy who did Google Adwords for them. Is it possible that this guy did something to affect the rankings? I don't think it's possible, but I am just asking if anyone knows of such a possibility.

No, that's not it Susan. Not if this guy didn't have any access to the site anymore, which is a whole other thing that has nothing to do with Adwords. Hopefully someone remembered to change the FTP password when he was let go so he couldn't fool with the site itself.

How old is this site?

What you describe often happens with newer sites. It also happens with more established sites, but they're generally not quite as volatile as a new site.

Also, how long ago did this happen?

And what do your traffic and sales numbers look like compared to before? What do your stats say about traffic and conversions?

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

How are you checking rankings? If you're using an automated tool, Google doesn't like that and sometimes punishes for it.

#4 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(susancalen @ Sep 27 2009, 10:13 AM) View Post
I am doing SEO for about four years and never experienced such a dilemma. I would appreciate anyone's help, advice, input etc.

okay you've been doing SEO for four years but you're not aware of the routine dropping of sites in serps for no apparent reason, then reappearing on the next index a few days later in the same positions as before?

Dont fret it, wait until at least the next index and see what happens. chances are your site will be back where it was before within days UNLESS you've recently done something drastic to the site or its links.

#5 susancalen

susancalen

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 27 2009, 12:09 PM) View Post
How are you checking rankings? If you're using an automated tool, Google doesn't like that and sometimes punishes for it.

I check the rankings manually. I know that rankings may drop for a while and then come back to normal, but I never had anything like this that ALL rankings disappear. It's for this reason that I got concerned.

He has had access to the FTP after being fired. They are not tech savvy and didn't think of changing any passwords. It's only after I noticed some changes did I check up on that Google Adwords guy.

#6 http://www.DebSpecs.com

http://www.DebSpecs.com

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

I have had the same thing happen to us for many (not all) of our major keywords. We sank in google from the first 5 listings, to the bottom of the second, and even the third page.

So strange.

the only change that coincided with this drastic drop is that we incorporated an advanced site search, picosearch, into our site. So, every time someone searches for something on our site, they are referred to an outside site, picosearch.com

I have since had this re-configured, so they go to a subdomain of ours, instead of the other site. This has not helped.

Is it my imagination, or can using an external search url for an internal site search hurt us?

Thank you so much!

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

Is it my imagination, or can using an external search url for an internal site search hurt us?

Yes, it's your imagination.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

I agree with Jill. It would require a pretty convoluted, Rube Goldbergesque linking scheme for a third-party site search tool to cause your site to lose rankings.

#9 http://www.DebSpecs.com

http://www.DebSpecs.com

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Sep 29 2009, 03:55 PM) View Post
I agree with Jill. It would require a pretty convoluted, Rube Goldbergesque linking scheme for a third-party site search tool to cause your site to lose rankings.

Thank y'all. My nerves are better, if not the rankings. It hasn't hurt our conversions much anyway, but I like to worry "just in case". whitehat.gif

#10 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE(susancalen @ Sep 29 2009, 10:26 AM) View Post
He has had access to the FTP after being fired. They are not tech savvy and didn't think of changing any passwords. It's only after I noticed some changes did I check up on that Google Adwords guy.

okay so as their SEO presumably you also have FTP access.. so why not just check? look at the robots.txt and the htaccess, or even the template files. Its a two minute job !
Check the webmaster tools to make sure no one has requested to be removed from the index.
Look at the cache in google... does it look okay and what is the cache date? if its recent, chances are there's nothing wrong and the drops are down to a remporary reindex or something thats changed on the site.
Talking of which, you've also already said you've been altering the site regularly.. you could have done something to cause these drops yourself?

Either way, sit it out and wait for the reindex.. i'd bet my left nut the positions come back on the next shuffle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.