• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Linking Out To Social Media Sites (flickr, Youtube, Technorati Etc.)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

I've read that outbound links are very important when it comes to ranking your website. I read that linking out to relevant pages with google authority also increases your own website's authority

I was now wondering if linking out to social media websites with ultra high authority would make sense

For example, if I use a picture hosted on Flickr on my website, will this help?

Or if I link out to Youtube by including a relevant youtube video on my page?

How about linking to technorati by linking to the most relevant technorati tag page?

And how about linking out to a relevant wikipedia article?

thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

I've read that outbound links are very important when it comes to ranking your website. I read that linking out to relevant pages with google authority also increases your own website's authorit

First, your premise is flawed as it's doubtful that either of those things are true.

So in answer to your question, I'd say it's highly unlikely that linking to those sites will help your site (in the search engines). It may help it be better for your site visitors though, which will indirectly help your site in the search engines over time.

#3 seobarry

seobarry

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

Thanks! Are there more opinions on this?

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 27 2009, 06:13 PM) View Post
First, your premise is flawed as it's doubtful that either of those things are true.

So in answer to your question, I'd say it's highly unlikely that linking to those sites will help your site (in the search engines). It may help it be better for your site visitors though, which will indirectly help your site in the search engines over time.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

As usual the answer is to simply link out where it makes sense for real users.

Trying to figure out if a link you place to another site is going to be of benefit, of no benefit or hurt the linking site is an exercise that will only lead to pulling out ones hair.

If you find the resource to be valuable to your target audience, valuable enough that you'd recommend it to them, link to it. If not, don't.

Ye olde KISS principle never fails. wink1.gif

#5 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE(seobarry @ Sep 30 2009, 11:02 AM) View Post
Thanks! Are there more opinions on this?

I've never heard that the authority of the sites you link out to improves your rankings. I've also never linked out to other sites from mine. Yet they are top ranked (1-5 positions) for their corresponding search terms. I've accomplished much of the aforementioned by simply adopting the basic/sound SEO principles I've learned from this forum over the years. The constant take away I have learned is - Build, write, design and optimize for the most important person: your audience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!