• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Do Link Validators Cause Clicks In Adsense Ads?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DianaTheHuntress

DianaTheHuntress

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:00 AM

I joined the forum a few days ago to ask about onsite search engines, and I found myself spending an hour or two reading here about Google's AdSense. I want to THANK YOU all for opening up my eyes because I now have AdSense on my site! I have installed both "AdSense for Content" and "AdSense for Search," so it has also solved my search engine problem.

I use Macromedia HomeSite (v. 5.5) to verify the links on my site. It does so on the remote host by following every onsite and offsite link. So, my question is: Will HomeSite follow the links in the ads and generate invalid clicks? Obviously, I don't dare use HomeSite if it does, but if so, I don't know what I will do without the ability to verify links on my web site. I have over 14,000 heavily interlinked static HTML pages, so there is no way I can do without remote link verification.

Diana

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:20 AM

I wouldn't imane it would follow, it should work in stages.
1. gather urls
2. request url to crawl
3. follow url.

This is a real valid question! (and one I honestly don't know the answer to) Can you specify exclusions to the crawl? If yes, then that would be the answer, exclude all the google adsense urls (You can do that with a wildcard normally i.e. domain.com/file/* (* being the wildcard)

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

hmm... That's a good question. Thinking out loud here since I've never considered it and since I don't do the Adsense thing personally.

OWG's question about if you can exclude links in Homesite is a good one. That would make it relatively easy to exclude links. The same would be true I believe if you can configure Homesite to exclude off site links, since presumably the Adsense links are all leading to external sites.

Looking at it from another angle I guess the first question is how Adsense links are constructed. They're still Javascript produced links, right?

If they are produced by JS, the next question is does Homesite's link validator even read and parse Javascript like a normal browser, or does it simply ignore javascript.

If it ignores JS and if Adsense links are written in JS, then the link validator shouldn't follow them.

Those are the easiest two ways I can think of to exclude Adsense links from getting crawled by your link validator. First see if the tool itself allows you to exclude some or all off site links in its configuration settings. Then if that can't be done test it to see if it even processes javascript links, after first verifying that Adsense links are produced via javascript.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,608 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

I've used various Firefox extensions for checking links. Some of them do check everything, including JS links, so I've had to drop them. I was very happy with the one I was using for the past couple of years, but it's disabled in the current version of the browser, so I switched to one called Pinger. So far, no complaints. You just right-click within the page, select the entry (with the silly Pac Man image), and it does its thing very quickly, then pops up a report.

#5 DianaTheHuntress

DianaTheHuntress

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Sep 26 2009, 09:35 AM) View Post
hmm... That's a good question. Thinking out loud here since I've never considered it and since I don't do the Adsense thing personally.

OWG's question about if you can exclude links in Homesite is a good one. That would make it relatively easy to exclude links. The same would be true I believe if you can configure Homesite to exclude off site links, since presumably the Adsense links are all leading to external sites.
It's not possible to exclude links in HomeSite's search. But even if I could, I wouldn't want to exclude external links per se because one of the things I'm looking for in a link verify is if an external link has died. Also, I could not possible list and exclude all the links in the many ads AdSense is placing on my site, and even if I did, if AdSense added even one new ad, I wouldn't have it excluded, so would get a hit.

QUOTE(Randy @ Sep 26 2009, 09:35 AM) View Post
Looking at it from another angle I guess the first question is how Adsense links are constructed. They're still Javascript produced links, right?

If they are produced by JS, the next question is does Homesite's link validator even read and parse Javascript like a normal browser, or does it simply ignore javascript.

If it ignores JS and if Adsense links are written in JS, then the link validator shouldn't follow them.

Those are the easiest two ways I can think of to exclude Adsense links from getting crawled by your link validator. First see if the tool itself allows you to exclude some or all off site links in its configuration settings. Then if that can't be done test it to see if it even processes javascript links, after first verifying that Adsense links are produced via javascript.
The JS thing looks promising. If HomeSite ignores JS, then the problem is solved. What I need is a script to test. I could put it on a test page and set HomeSite to verify just that page to see how it behaves. Unfortunately, I don't know how to program in JS. But, waitaminit...

I just discovered that HomeSite can go out to a web page -- anyone's web page, not just my own -- and do a link verify on it. Would someone be so kind as to give me a link to a page on their site that has AdSense ads? I should be able to tell whether it follows the ad links or not.

Diana

#6 DianaTheHuntress

DianaTheHuntress

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 26 2009, 11:46 AM) View Post
I've used various Firefox extensions for checking links. Some of them do check everything, including JS links, so I've had to drop them. I was very happy with the one I was using for the past couple of years, but it's disabled in the current version of the browser, so I switched to one called Pinger. So far, no complaints. You just right-click within the page, select the entry (with the silly Pac Man image), and it does its thing very quickly, then pops up a report.
I have over 14,000 pages on my site to test, so I'm afraid I cannot do a link verify a page at a time. I don't, in fact, verify the whole site at one time -- it would take too long and unnecessarily test folders that are unchanged. I usually just test a folder I've been working on, or I'll test a folder if I've stumbled on a bad link. But thank you for the suggestion.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

Something like the following should work for your test page.

CODE
<html>
<head>
<title>JS Link Test Page</title>
</head>
<body>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
document.write("<a href='http://www.google.com/'>JS link to Google</a>");
//-->
</script>

</body>
</html>

#8 DianaTheHuntress

DianaTheHuntress

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:21 AM

Thank you so much, Randy. It worked!

I added a few links to pages at my site, just to make certain HomeSite was working, and, lo and behold, HomeSite saw my links and ignored the ad links. I ran a further test on one page at my site, and HomeSite continued to ignore the ad links. What a relief!

Thanks again,
Diana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!