• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Internal Linking And Anchor Text

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

We are building an e-commerce website that targeting Personalised gifts. Now the homepage is optimised for personalised gifts, unique gift ideas and unusual gifts key phrases.

We also have categories for personalised gifts, unique gifts and unusual gifts. And they are also optimised for those keyword.

How can I build internal linking and anchor text?

Can I link to "homepage" and "personalised gifts" category with the anchor text personalised gifts?

Is this Keyword Cannibalization?

If it is, how can I rectify?

Do I really have to link to my homepage with an anchor text?

I would be grateful if someone could advise me what to do.

Regards

#2 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

you've kinda attacked this the wrong way.. your homepage phrases are fine.. yet having three seperate categories repeating the keyterms is pointless and will dirve your visitors mad. The words dont mean anything as useful category descriptions and dont describe what products are likely to be in them at all.

Leave your homepage as it is.. but rename the categories to what they are about... they'll then be found for the terms that are relevant to the page (as they contain info and products about those terms). Visitors will find the products easily, and its going to be all round better for SEO.

As to how you build internal linking.. well, your menu does that automatically, but you can also cross link between pages via phrases OR by using cross sell features (available on most e-commerce setups). There are numerous other ways to... depending on which package you use.

#3 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes i can get rid of my personalised gifts category and unique gifts category. There is no need to have them as we do personalised gift are our main products and targeting those phrases at the home page.

I have to have unusual gifts category as those gifts are not personalised and the page is optimised for unusal gifts. I am also targeting this "unusual gifts" phrase at the homepage. That is what I am trying to explain. How can I get around this.

Regards

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:27 PM

If you put usability first you usually address all the basic stuff required for on-page optimization. The search engines are trying to figure out what your site is presenting to your visitors -- the easier you make that for anyone to figure out, the better.

You don't necessarily want long descriptive anchor text on all your internal links but you do want the anchor text to be something that an average person who has no trade knowledge of your industry's jargon can easily understand and interpret.

Your internal linking structures should be flexible and easily available. Don't make people work to find their way around your site. Make it easy for them to get from one page to the next, one section to the next, one product to the next.

And keep in mind that if you have a large inventory many people will prefer to use your site search anyway, so don't skimp on that. A robust site search functionality can make the difference between an acceptable number of conversions and a great number of conversions.

Help people find what they are looking for in every way possible.

#5 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(ali0303 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:03 AM) View Post
I have to have unusual gifts category as those gifts are not personalised and the page is optimised for unusal gifts. I am also targeting this "unusual gifts" phrase at the homepage. That is what I am trying to explain. How can I get around this.

Regards

okay , well you've already said your main products are personalised gifts, so your answer is already there. Dont target 'unusual gifts' on the homepage, leave that to the 'unusual gifts' category page. For the homepage simply concentrate on your term 'personalised gifts' and popular variations of it (eg personalised gift, personalised birthday gifts etc). If unusual gifts is just a category, use the category page to do the work. There's no reason to target it on the homepage unless the category carries a large chunk of your products (which would make it more important).

Edited by adibranch, 22 September 2009 - 02:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!