• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Branding My Website In The Page Title

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HJB

HJB

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Hi,

If my webpage is rated at a certain level for one or two keywords, will adding another keyword in the title (the website name - which appears in the URL anyway) tend to knock down the ranking for any other keywords? I've added the website name to the page titles as a branding exercise, but could this be counterproductive if rankings are affected? In short, if I include more keywords in the page title, will my pages be returned lower for searches for words other than the website name?

The website name is unique, and appears in the website URL, so is returned top for any searching for the website by name anyway.

Thanks.

#2 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

I would separate your keywords from your brand and place your brand at the very end of the page title.

For example:

Michigan Recycling Services | My Company Brand

I doubt you will see any negative impact from this in your rankings.

#3 HJB

HJB

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:48 AM

Hi,

Well, I was intending to do it the other way round: My Company name | my key words

But it amounts to the same thing. I think I'll wait for a few more opinions before deciding what to do.

Thanks.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:07 AM

IMO, it doesn't amount to the same thing. I don't have any scientific tests to back it up, but I've found that putting the keywords at the beginning of the title tag tends to work better than putting them elsewhere, so I rarely put branding before the main keyword phrase.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:44 AM

If my webpage is rated at a certain level for one or two keywords, will adding another keyword in the title (the website name - which appears in the URL anyway) tend to knock down the ranking for any other keywords?

Just do it and see what happens. Give it a good few weeks or more, then decide for yourself if it made a difference. There are too many factors involved for anyone to be able to tell you how it will effect your particular page.

It's no big deal to try something and then go back to the old way later if you don't like it. That's the beauty of SEO, pretty much nothing is set in stone.

#6 HJB

HJB

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Thank you all for the feedback.

#7 BNBuzz

BNBuzz

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(HJB @ Sep 18 2009, 07:13 PM) View Post
Hi,

If my webpage is rated at a certain level for one or two keywords, will adding another keyword in the title (the website name - which appears in the URL anyway) tend to knock down the ranking for any other keywords? I've added the website name to the page titles as a branding exercise, but could this be counterproductive if rankings are affected? In short, if I include more keywords in the page title, will my pages be returned lower for searches for words other than the website name?

The website name is unique, and appears in the website URL, so is returned top for any searching for the website by name anyway.

Thanks.

Page titles are one of the BIG 3's when it comes to on-page factors for organic SEO. As far keywords in page titles, you got to take care of two things. 1) importance of your keywords 2) density of your keywords.

Try keeping your page titles as shorter as possible but adding your company/site name is not a bad idea. However, since now you are deciding to add some keywords in the title for a page that's already ranking high. I will strongly suggest to analyze your page first using web CEO free version first and compare it with your old page. If you're not hurting the importance and the density of your well ranking keywords, you should go and play with your new stuff. In addition, make sure your visible content is well optimized for the new keywords too. Otherwise, it could just imbalance your site content and you may lose whatever you have gained so far.

Just give it a hook at your local environment first and do proper analysis before going live.

could I help?

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

Try keeping your page titles as shorter as possible

I couldn't disagree more. I love long titles as you can get more phrases in. Long Titles rule.

#9 RayWrites

RayWrites

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 23 2009, 05:26 PM) View Post
I couldn't disagree more. I love long titles as you can get more phrases in. Long Titles rule.

How long would you suggest? What is the maximum amount of characters you would use in a page title?

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:07 PM

There is no maximum.

Say what you need to say with the keyword phrases you need to say them with and it's all good.

#11 lyn

lyn

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

I like long titles, too, but there's a practicality to consider in how the title will appear in SERPs.
Me, I'd want the title to look realistic, reasonable and complete on the results page; if the text runs too long, it won't all fit into the displayed SERPs title.

#12 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 23 2009, 11:07 PM) View Post
There is no maximum.

Say what you need to say with the keyword phrases you need to say them with and it's all good.

True, but this will affect the number of clicks you get in the serp ..
Other than seo matters, the Title is an important factor for users also ..

Or I'm missing something?

Thanks for answering ..

#13 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

Sure you need to develop titles that grab the users attention and encourage click thru's. But you do also need to get your keywords in there if you want to rank for them in the first place. It's not an either or kind of thing. It all has to be there and work well for both users and search engines.

#14 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

Yes, actually , SE encourage you to put your primary keyword, and the primary keyword at the beginning will increase the click thought rate .. So one follows the other ...

So, if you don't mind, I need to know your opinion about the latest seomoz model about title tag:

Primary Keyword - Secondary Keywords | Brand

Also, what do you think about not making the title longer than 65 characters .. I see many seo tools , when checking the title tag, they mention that it mustn't be more than 65 characters .. Make sense ? no ? .. If no, do you have any idea about how they come to such conclusion?

Thank you very much.

#15 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:20 AM

Yes, actually , SE encourage you to put your primary keyword

And you have proof for this theory? Because it's been hotly debated for many, many years. Personally I'm not so sure having your keyword phrase in word position #1 in the page <title> is better than having it is say word position 2 or 3. Personally I try to keep the main, most general phrase within the first 5 words or so, but not for any ranking effect necessarily. I like those to show up in the SERP page title when people search for it, because their mind is already conditioned to look for those words in a general, sense. Not actively, but subconsciously.

As to the 65 character bit, you need to stop making wild leaps of faith based upon what imperfect tools might or might not tell you. That one comes from the fact that the search engines truncate what gets displayed as the title on the SERP page. But I guarantee you that they index the whole thing. You can even prove this one for yourself pretty easily. Put a made up word in a test page somewhere and make sure it's well beyond character #65. Let it all get re-indexed and search for your made up word. The page will still show up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.