• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Am I "un-optimising" My Webpage ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gavin2

gavin2

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

Not sure whether I should have put this question in the technobabble section or if it's fine here... Please can anyone help ?

We receive guest comments via email and then, word for word, we type them into our dynamic backoffice.

Our webpage shows a "clickable heading", "Read what our guests said" which as I understand it, uses a javascript / DHTML to either show or hide the guest comments. Therefore, there is either say 500 words visible, or when the heading is clicked, the guest comments appear, adding say another 2500 words to the page total.

These guest comments are "new content". As I understand, new content should be a "plus point". Would we get more plus points if the search engines were to realise that the comments were from the general public, and not from ourselves ? If so, is there a way to "tell the engines" that these comments are the opinions of the public ?

By continually adding guest comments to the page, is this having a negative effect on the originally optimised page, because 1), the word count is getting so high and 2) because the new guest comments contain hardly any "optimized content" (diluting our originally well-optimised page) ?

Any comments will be greatfully received, Thank you.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,913 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

Would we get more plus points if the search engines were to realise that the comments were from the general public, and not from ourselves ?

No. Search engines aren't concerned with that sort of thing as far as I know.

By continually adding guest comments to the page, is this having a negative effect on the originally optimised page, because 1), the word count is getting so high and 2) because the new guest comments contain hardly any "optimized content" (diluting our originally well-optimised page) ?

Yes, it certainly could be doing those things.

First, are you sure that the search engines can even see/index the comments? Do they show up in Google's text cache? If so, then they do index it, if not, it's invisible.

If they do index it and if you find that the content is causing you to lose traffic for your previously optimized keyword phrases, perhaps you may want to think about moving the guest comments to pages for which you haven't optimized. This will provide you with natural long-tail traffic for the information used within the comments by your guests.

#3 Ocipital

Ocipital

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

All sounds like new content to me. As Jill said, just make sure the content is keyword relevant and indexable and you should be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!