• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Check That A Re-direct 301 Has Been Applied?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:10 AM

Hi, I have moved a website onto a new domain - the old one has been re-directed by 301 - can I check that this has been done correctly? Thanks, L

#2 Anshika

Anshika

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE(lister @ Sep 16 2009, 02:10 AM) View Post
Hi, I have moved a website onto a new domain - the old one has been re-directed by 301 - can I check that this has been done correctly? Thanks, L

Yes you can check if the 301 is working fine using a Redirection checker. Just google and you will get a lot of helpful tools. One I personally used was on webconfs dot com.

Do tell me if your traffic had fallen after the 301. As I am facing this problem.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

If you need to check 301's or other status codes often, there's a freebie PC app called WebBug you can download and use. I've used that one forever and a day. The only thing with that one is to make sure you check off HTTP Ver 1.1 in the upper right corner of the tool before you run it. It defaults to HTTP Version 1.0, which was incredibly buggy. (Not the tool, but the status reports in HTTP 1.0.)

If you don't need to do it often there are several status checkers or HTTP header checkers out there on the web one can use. Webconfs has one, a few dozen other people have one, heck even lil old me has one over on my personal site.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

I'll second Randy's recommendation of WebBug. I've been using it for years, at least a few times a week. Here's a download link.

#5 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

thanks Guys - you are the best!

This is the output I received:

----------

Response

Checked link: http://www. - my old domain .com

Type of redirect: 301 Moved Permanently

Redirected to: http://www. - my new domain .com

---------------

So I guess all is well -

Thanks again

#6 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 16 2009, 06:39 PM) View Post
I'll second Randy's recommendation of WebBug. I've been using it for years, at least a few times a week. Here's a download link.

Looks amazing - only issue is that I run ubuntu linux and at first glance it seems that it is a .exe file that I cant use (i dont use WINE).

I will download on my work PC though - thanks very much!

#7 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(Anshika @ Sep 16 2009, 02:16 AM) View Post
Do tell me if your traffic had fallen after the 301. As I am facing this problem.

you mean your search traffic? that used to be a common problem as the site was temporarily dropped until the redirect was fully propogated and indexed, although i've also recently 301'd a site and not experienced it this time, although i have seen both sites and pages listed at the same time.

#8 BigStartups

BigStartups

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(lister @ Sep 16 2009, 02:10 AM) View Post

A lot of browsers also have built in diagnostic tools that will show you the HTTP responses being returned. For example Live HTTP Headers in Firefox which show you all the responses so you can determine the redirect type.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.