• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Site Review

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hello

I would like to have review about following domain.. The details are given below

Domain: www.cnmonline.co.uk

and the questions / answers are given below:

General
Is this site completed or under construction?
** The site is Completed and running..

If completed:
How long has the site been up?
** Its been running since last 2-3 years

SEO
Do you have incoming links?

**On google it shows only 13 backlinks from the same domain, however yahoo and bing shows more plus if we check other third party utility to check backlinks it shows more... Not sure why google doesn't show all backlinks, its one of the things to review about.

What keywords are you targeting?
**We are targeting for lots of keywords using organic, froogle, and other third party services mainly are.. Radiators, heaters, soap dispensers, panel heaters, electric blankets, pest control products, waste bins etc? should i mention exact keywords we are targeting? please let me know so i can list out some of them...

Do you want your code reviewed for errors or improvements?
**That would be great.. specially if you check homepage view source we have some javascript in the beginning of page does that cause issue in search engines? or any other suggestion that would help users as well as search engines

Marketing
Who is your target audience? Think about:
Nationality: UK mostly
Age Range: 35 to 55
Income/Education level: NA
Likes/Dislikes: person looking for home improvement products like heaters, radiators, electric blankets, pest control etc, you can check our entire range on site. mostly our target audience will be construction houses or councils as they bulk orders and are regular customers as they have requirements for their properties / schools / councils etc. however we cater retail customers too with home improvement needs in general

Why is your site different from sites selling/offering similar info/goods/services? Why will someone want to do business you?
**I think our customer service and prompt delivery with best competitive prices, our customer satisfaction rate is high and we occasionally receive any complaints for our services / products and if received we cater complaints with prompt response

How important is usability?
**Usability is must, if site is usable we ultimately get users in return.. so please emphasis on that.. they also help in search engine visibility too, i think.

What is the purpose of the site? (inform, sell, online community, support B&M business, contact info only, etc)
**To sell products to retail and wholesale business corporations

Design
Do you want design suggestions?
**Most welcome if any design changes, we would love to change if that helps customers to easily navigate site and find the right product in minimal time frame, our aim is to have user friendly site that will help users first then search engines to crawl site without any conflict

Please let me know if you would like to know further in order to review better

Thank you

regards
Kashyap

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:10 AM

having a quick glimpse, not bad at all.

Clean layout / design, easy navigation, good job!

Only two points I can see is ...

1. The site seems rather slow, i'm in UK, where is the site hosted, and is it cheap hosting?
2. I don't understand the 'View More' image which appears after clicking a dropdown menu option, nothing happens when I click 'view more' not sure what it's trying to tell me?

Finally as you asked for your code to be checked, it's riddled with errors, you need to run your pages through the online validator and fix these if you want valid code http://validator.w3....o...ine&group=0

offtopic.gif

I notice you sell bollards, you might want to contact my parents company as they can add to your offering with new 'Rubber' Bollards. much better and safer than metal or concrete bollards, and a lot less damage caused to vehicles and bollards when hit wink1.gif

http://happylandings...k/bollards.html

#3 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:47 AM

Thank you for your review

1. Yes people often complain about slow speed, we used to check with pingdom tool, and optimize images and filesize to reduce loading speed but yet not major improvement, the hosting is good reputation, its on dedipower
2. when you click on any category on left, on clicking first time, it opens its subscategory, clicking on view more or parent category itself will redirect to page where all these subcategories listed (that you got in first click on there, without page refresh) dont you redirected when you click on view more image to category landing page with subcategory listed on them? if so please let me know your browser, platform details so i can check

regarding W3c, we are working on it, however some of the javascript errors are not easy to avoid. so some of the errors remains on that

Let me know if anything we could improve on

Thanks for the offer, i will certainly look at the site you have mentioned

regards
Kashyap

#4 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

however some of the javascript errors are not easy to avoid.

JS errors should not appear in HTML validating, this is because you haven't correctly commented the code out.

If you want to be totally anal with wrapping JS in the correct tags... use this...

CODE
<script type="text/javascript">
// <![CDATA[

YOUR CODE GOES HERE

// ]]>  
</script>

let me know if that helps smile.gif

on the 'view more' note, yes you are correct, but it isn't very obvious, if you are going to update the DOM via AJAX, you really should display an AJAX 'wait' image or similar so the user is aware that something is happening, just a suggestion smile.gif

#5 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hello

One more thing I have noticed that there is one domain shows in our backlink, when you open that domain it redirects to our own site? Its not our site.. can you let us know what can be the motive of such redirect to our site? any harm to us? I cant get whois data of that server too.. is there any way to contact them

regards
Kashyap

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

As a rule links pointing to your site cannot harm you, it's who you link to that can have a detrimental effect.

Are you following the url backlink or are you going to the main domain without any query string?

They may simply be using some form of redirect mechanism to track clickthrough's, the point of backinks are so when they are clicked or pasted into the browser address bar, the visitor ends up on your site.

#7 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Sep 15 2009, 08:48 AM) View Post
As a rule links pointing to your site cannot harm you, it's who you link to that can have a detrimental effect.

Are you following the url backlink or are you going to the main domain without any query string?

They may simply be using some form of redirect mechanism to track clickthrough's, the point of backinks are so when they are clicked or pasted into the browser address bar, the visitor ends up on your site.

I am checking backlink of main domain.. so as per your description i can be rest sure that the domain that is forwarded to my site doesnt harm me

Any other reviews by members?

Your help is highly appreciated

regards
Kashyap

#8 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Having valid HTML does nothing to help your customers or your rankings. As long as your site works properly in all the browsers you want to cater to (including things like screen readers), there's no reason to give it a second thought.

Keep ROI in mind; spending your time/money on something with a return on investment of zero is a waste of your resources. Anything that's going to take you more than a couple minutes should be skipped. Things that only take you a couple minutes should probably be skipped too. Your focus should be on improving the site itself rather than catering to some guys' arbitrary standards.

I can't tell you how much my company's money has been wasted by programmers trying to conform to these standards.

Two issues with the site itself stand out to me:

Your floating security badges cover up parts of the site on lower resolutions.
You don't have any keyphrases in the title tag of your homepage.

#9 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:59 AM

Having valid HTML does nothing to help your customers or your rankings
now theres a comment from someone who knows nothing about valid html and is obviously a cowboy coder!

As long as your site works properly in all the browsers
how do you think you get it to work in all browsers, by magic? by making the tags up yourself? , or maybe perhaps most modern browsers are standrds compliant and maybe , just maybe they are made standards compliant for a reason!

An maybe just maybe learning semantic, standards compliant coding, will by nature get you half way to having an SE friendlt , SEO'd website.

I don't mind people here having differrences of opinions but stop spreaing your down right lies , this is a decent forum that gives good sound advice, and that is not what you are providing!

spending your time/money on something with a return on investment of zero is a waste of your resources
try doingit right in the fist place then, unless your not capable of course? then leave it to someone who is.

I can't tell you how much my company's money has been wasted by programmers trying to conform to these standards.
no you can't because valid code is not a waste of time or resources , that's why! However the amount of time and resources wasted trying to wade through tag soup created by people who shouldn't be let near a browser in the first place, is astronomical! , not to mention tracking down bugs can be a complete nightmare.

Plus if you bothered to read the post correctly they ASKED for valid code suggestions, and your reply is not valid in that context, so stop giving them BAD advice.

I prefer quality over quantity, but YMMV!

#10 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

I'll keep my response to PMs to avoid having a big argument in the site review section. It's not my intent to start an argument here.

I'm simply offering advice. Your time is better used focusing on other things.

Edited by Michael-F, 16 September 2009 - 02:26 PM.

#11 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:39 AM

Thank you for your feedback, I am working on site to make W3C compliant so it doesnt break in browsers or not good enough for user experiece, I am aware that it is not going to help in SE rankings..

for SE rankings.. I am using Directories, Articles (ezinearticle) and social bookmarking with blog and forum posting, specially for no keyphrase for homepage is that becuase we dont optimize homepage for any keyword except internal category and product pages.. lets say www.cnmonline.co.uk/Electric-Fly-Killers-c-27.html for Electric fly killers (if you wish to comment on that)

any more reviews by memebers? Not able to get much ROI... anything about usability or checkout process..

regards
Kashyap

#12 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:04 AM

hank you for your feedback, I am working on site to make W3C compliant so it doesnt break in browsers or not good enough for user experiece, I am aware that it is not going to help in SE rankings..
Good for you Kashyap, it's always nice to hear from people who wan't to do things properly and care about doing a good job.

But don't let people make you beleive that Standards and SEO don't go hand in hand because they do, and anyone who understands what the word Semantic means, would tell you the same.

It's about using the right tag for the right content, if it didn't matter why bother having a title tag, oh but that directly affects SEO doesn't it? of course it does, if you follow semantic thinking when coding your site, you'll be making it SE friendly and SEO'd by nature.

Of course it's not the whole SEO picture, but it's a massive step in the right direction. I wish you luck with your site, and congratulate you on your work ethic.

#13 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(kashyap_rajput @ Sep 16 2009, 11:39 PM) View Post
Thank you for your feedback, I am working on site to make W3C compliant so it doesnt break in browsers or not good enough for user experiece, I am aware that it is not going to help in SE rankings..
Certain things validation watches out for will help with accessibility - semantic tagging, alt attributes for images, etc. Just make sure you look at the real-world benefits of having a 0-error page and try to use your time wisely.

for SE rankings.. I am using Directories, Articles (ezinearticle) and social bookmarking with blog and forum posting, specially for no keyphrase for homepage is that becuase we dont optimize homepage for any keyword except internal category and product pages.. lets say www.cnmonline.co.uk/Electric-Fly-Killers-c-27.html for Electric fly killers (if you wish to comment on that)

any more reviews by memebers? Not able to get much ROI... anything about usability or checkout process..

regards
Kashyap

I'll point stuff out as I go through the site a little more thoroughly. It'll probably be mostly nitpicky stuff, but I'll point it out anyway.
  • I'm not a fan of having to double-click your "top-level" navigation options to get to those categories. Expanding the menu by clicking on the top-level option makes sense, but clicking it again to go to that category isn't very intuitive.
  • I've seen some excessive punctuation that looks a little unprofessional. "Why not have a look at the brochure?!?!" on the Christmas Decoration page and "Hot Selling Items with Best Buy Offers………!" on the main page stand out to me.
  • On the product page, you might try swapping the positions of "Let me know when it's back in stock" and "E-Mail Address". The only thing that stands out is the "E-Mail Address" field while the actual purpose behind the field is buried in some clutter.
  • Turning the "Warranty" portion of your product page into a link or a mouseover to explain how the warranty works might be helpful for the many customers who don't trust warranties in general and want to know the specifics
  • On product code EC90W, the "Back in Stock" date has passed. You might want to look into implementing something that either updates that automatically when the date passes or alerts you so you can check into it.
  • When I click "Add to Cart" on something that's out of stock, the basket remains empty and I just get taken back to the same page. I can see this being confusing. You might want to have it take them to a separate page that explains the situation and suggests giving their email address to tell them when it's back in stock.
  • The words "Personal Details" and "Personal Information" on the account creation page tend to scare people off in my experience. Using Contact Information (or something similar) while merging your sections might work better. You could probably also drop the "Title" field as it's not necessary for contact or delivery. Fewer fields to go through is better when it comes to this stuff.
  • I'd also try to bring the "Ship to a different address" more in line with the field above it so it doesn't get missed. People get frustrated when their billing/shipping addresses don't match and they don't know why their order isn't getting through.
  • Having the "Check this box if you do not want to receive offers from us in future" checked by default shows good faith, but I understand this may not be a good idea for your company.
  • You shouldn't list countries that you can't ship to. It clutters up the country selection box.

That's what I've come across so far. Now I've got a meeting to go to smile.gif

#14 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:33 AM

Thank you 1dmf & Michael-F for your help

Michael-F for taking time to review site and sent me list of things that i should take care of.. I have already started working on the list.. I would like to make site rock solid for users as well as SE to be ready for next winter and Christmas season

Any other members would like to send their reviews? that would be great...

As always I am thankful for great help

regards
Kashyap

#15 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

Hello

Can I ask particular Feature review here in forum, To find product quickly we have created product filter... for example you can check http://www.cnmonline...ers-c-1345.html under heading "Filter Product Range" there is filter products by price, manufacturer or show only special offer products? do you think its nice? or some improvements needed to cater user friendly functionality / design

Your help is appreciated

Kashyap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!