• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress Or Other Options?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jgs55

jgs55

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

I am a small business owner and I have a minimal budget to do over my site. The site will consist of approximately 50 pages and 6 form pages where people fill out information and it is emailed to me - I have no need to collect storage or data. I would also like to be able to put specials on the home page and it will bring them to a description of the special where they can then go to a request form which will be sent to me. Also, if possible I would once in a while like to be able to make some minor text changes. I do not want a blog or fedders etc on the site - I want it to look like typical website.

All of the text including titles, tags and keywords are finished. I have a very good idea of the design. I would like a website option that I will be able to use 5 years from now and that I can make changes on my own. I am very confused what is best Wordpress, Joomla or not an open source?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Neither is "best" it just depends on your abilities and needs.

Wordpress is simple to use and free, so might be good if you don't have many programming skills.

#3 jgs55

jgs55

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

Would wordpress without the blog, fedders etc look and function the same as a typical website?

I need to be able to post a special and have it link to a description and request form page to me

What would be best and most cost efficent?

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 14 2009, 04:34 PM) View Post
Neither is "best" it just depends on your abilities and needs.

Wordpress is simple to use and free, so might be good if you don't have many programming skills.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

Would wordpress without the blog, fedders etc look and function the same as a typical website?

Yes, if you design it that way.

You can pretty much do anything with WordPress that you want, you just have to figure out how to do it or hire someone who already knows. It's a CMS but it's only as good as the person driving it.

#5 jgs55

jgs55

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 15 2009, 09:49 AM) View Post
Yes, if you design it that way.

You can pretty much do anything with WordPress that you want, you just have to figure out how to do it or hire someone who already knows. It's a CMS but it's only as good as the person driving it.

Thanks for the response. I am going to hire someone to do it.

There will be 50 pages and 6 built form pages and I would also like to be able to put specials on the home page and that will bring them to a description of the special where they can then go to a request form which will be sent to me. Also, if possible I would once in a while like to be able to make some minor text changes.

I am trying to decide between using wordpress and not using an open source and I am throughly confused as to what is the difference and best based on the above needs?? What would you recommend is best wordpress or similar or not an open source?

Thanks for your response

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

Since you're hiring someone, I'd say to just use whatever they're most familiar with. If you were doing it yourself, I'd say WordPress, hands down.

#7 jgs55

jgs55

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 15 2009, 11:16 PM) View Post
Since you're hiring someone, I'd say to just use whatever they're most familiar with. If you were doing it yourself, I'd say WordPress, hands down.

If you were a business owner with 47 pages and about 8 built form pages and wanted XHTML/CSS code, tableless and needed a back end control panel to allow for specials on the front page that connnected to description page that connected to a request form and possibly but not required to be able to change minor text on other pages what would you select that was economical and would have the quickest fix for bugs, with a professional in appearance and would be SEO? Would you select a Wordpress or other open source or a closed source?

Any thoughts from anyone is appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!