• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Dropped By All Ses

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

I work on a site, let's call it blue-widgets.com, and I wanted to divert all traffic to this site to, widgets.com. So I made a 301 redirect on blue-widgets.com to widgets.com. This was last week, when blue-widgets.com ranked 4 for widgets. Today I just learned that blue-widgets.com has been dropped from the SEs; all of them - for the keyword "widgets." Last week blue-widgets.com was on 1st page of all SEs for "widgets" and other relevant keywords. It still ranks for other keywords but not "widgets." I did leave the page as a "index follow."

The 301 redirect is the only change I made. By reverting back to what I had last week, should I be able to retain my previous placements?

Edited by Hans G., 14 September 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

Hunh?

If you set up a 301 redirect for the entire domain it wouldn't make any difference if the meta was set up to index follow. Because the 301 would cause the entire site to be redirected. This all assumes of course that you actually have a 301 in place and you have confirmed that it is a 301.

If you truly want to move the site I wouldn't do anything at this point other than to make sure the redirects are working, that they're actually delivering a 301 status code and that the new domain is reachable and doesn't have any robots.txt or other robots exclusions in place. Everything is too new at this point so you'll need to give it some time for the index to get completely refreshed. That some pages from the old site are still showing up in the index indicates to me that they process of moving to another domain is probably still in process, as it were.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Today I just learned that blue-widgets.com has been dropped from the SEs; all of them - for the keyword "widgets."

Right. You redirected that domain so that Google can no longer and will no longer index it. All is as it should be.

Moving this thread to the 301 Redirect Forum. You'll find other info there on this topic as well.

#4 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

I threw a redirect javascript into the page. So blue-widgets.com is redirecting to widgets.com but blue-widgets.com use to rank for "widgets." All "widget" results are gone.

i was simply trying to divert traffic from blue-widgets.com to widgets.com without losing keyword rankings from blue-widgets.com

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:34 PM

You're trying to do the impossible. You can use blue-widgets.com to leverage traffic for widgets.com by using static, clearly visible text links people can click on (should they so choose).

Trying to sneakily redirect one domain to another is an old trick and the search engines don't like that.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

What Michael said.

All your javascript redirect is going to do is get the old domain removed from the index, without passing any of its value on to the new site. Basically the worst of all possible worlds. They usually don't pick up on it quite so quickly, but it appears they did this time. Or did you remove all of the content of the pages when you set up the JS redirect too? Triple whammy if you did this as well.

It's time to decide which domain you want to be your real site. When you do, make that site live and reachable, redirecting the other one to it via 301's.

#7 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

Thanks guys. I just put everything back the way it was. This all happened very quickly. I did the redirect on Friday, and this morning, I saw that blue-widgets.com was no longer ranking for "widgets." (It is still ranking for "blue widgets.") Now that it's back the way it was, will I regain the previous "widgets" rankings? Should I submit blue-widgets.com to Google, Yahoo and Bing to let them know asap? Should I submit a Site reconsideration? I was on page 1 for widgets! drunk.gif

#8 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

Now that I put everything back the way it was, will I regain the previous "widgets" rankings? Should I submit a Site reconsideration?

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

I would file reconsideration requests. There are no guarantees in life, however. You may be partially restored and left on some form of probation. I've seen penalties for overt misdirection last up to several years.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE(Hans G. @ Sep 15 2009, 01:05 PM) View Post
Now that I put everything back the way it was, will I regain the previous "widgets" rankings? Should I submit a Site reconsideration?

I wouldn't. You didn't do anything that merits reconsideration. Why point out to them that you think you spammed them when they probably have no clue?

#11 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

All I did was try to test redirecting traffic from blue-widgets.com to widgets.com. I can't see how this could be bad since widgets.com has a special section specifically for people looking for blue widgets.

My little test resulted in loss of all "widget" traffic for blue-widgets.com. Blue-widgets.com no longer ranks for "widgets." But I put everything back the way it was before.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

All I did was try to test redirecting traffic from blue-widgets.com to widgets.com. I can't see how this could be bad since widgets.com has a special section specifically for people looking for blue widgets.

Exactly. So why file a reinclusion request?

My little test resulted in loss of all "widget" traffic for blue-widgets.com. Blue-widgets.com no longer ranks for "widgets." But I put everything back the way it was before.

Not sure if you can call it a test since you turned it back before ever giving it much chance.

These things can take weeks if not months. It sounded like you only waited days, which means you really can't conclude much, imo.

#13 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:32 AM

There is one well-documented incident where doing exactly that kind of redirect got someone's site banned and he had to file a reconsideration request. However, the person in question publicly admitted that he had redirected a "black hat" site toward a "white hat" site.

If you haven't done anything like that, then Jill is probably right. However, if the site you redirected had a suspicious background, I would opt for the reconsideration request.

You probably lose nothing by waiting a week or two to see what happens. The situation might return to normal without your doing anything.

#14 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:16 AM

Thanks to you all. I have reverted everything back the way it was and will see what happens. Will update you on how it goes.

#15 Hans G.

Hans G.

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:38 PM

I went ahead and submitted the reconsideration request with Google. I had mentioned that I put everything back the way it was, and submitted for reconsideration. Yesterday I saw that "blue-widgets.com" (as I'm calling it), is back in their index and ranking for "widgets." However, it was ranking on the first page for that word prior to my little snafu, and now it's on the second page. Frankly, I'm just happy to be back, as I am confident that we'll back back on page one soon enough. Thanks again for everyone's help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.