• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Less Traffic With Higher Rank In Google...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:01 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right category, but here it goes.

My website is now receiving way less traffic than it did when it was lower on google.
When my site was 7-10th on google i was getting about 300-500 views a day, now when im second for my main keyword, im hardly getting 200.
What could be a reason for this? do people just skip the first few sites?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

Are you sure it's the traffic from that particular keyword that has gone down? Or is it your traffic in general?

What do your analytics tell you?

#3 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 10 2009, 05:23 PM) View Post
Are you sure it's the traffic from that particular keyword that has gone down? Or is it your traffic in general?

What do your analytics tell you?

yes, im first on my main keyword and traffic has decreased on that keyword, its very strange

#4 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

What about the other keywords, Have you seen a drop in secondary phrases at the same time as you position has been hiked?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

Also, could it be a seasonal effect?

Rarely does any keyword phrase or group of keyword phrases attract the same amount of traffic every day/week/month throughout the year. Almost all of 'em see traffic trends moving up and down at different times of the year. Some sites are highly seasonal in nature. For instance I <cough> know of </cough> one site that gets roughly 50-80k unique visits per month for over half of the year. However during 5 months of the year the same site with the same content and the same rankings jumps up to somewhere between 800k and 1.2 million unique visits per month. Obviously, it's highly seasonal, and an extreme example.

About the only way you can see and plan for this normal fluctuation is to have a site with some age on it, where you can compile the stats to review year after year so that it doesn't through you for a loop.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

One more thought...are you sure it's not just your own personalized searches that are showing the phrase as having moved up in the rankings?

Since rankings are never the same for any two people, you'll want to check that out.

#7 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 11 2009, 09:34 PM) View Post
Since rankings are never the same for any two people, you'll want to check that out.
IS there a way to check the median search results? If everyones SERP is differernt then are we all 'trying' to push our sites on each others personal SERPs? It would be good if we could know what the real ranking was of our sites. When I check on my PC I am top for some great kw and also on other computers/internet connections that are not filtered on my GA.

I guess best way to check is just try on as many computers/internet connections you can, (ask friends etc) see what they say - then subtract those from GA....

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

IS there a way to check the median search results?

There is no such thing. There's no "real ranking" so just don't worry about it.

If you need to know what ranking your page was at for a given visit from Google, then install the tool Randy has in his sig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!