• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Check Your Code !

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:50 AM

hi all, i know i'm not on here much and i moan a bit, but a reminder about bad coding. Early Last month i amended an ecommerce site as i normally do. I use dreamweaver code view all the time as it has good highlighting and autocomplete etc. Anyway, being dreamweaver its a bit crap, and will assume a lot. In this case too much.

My opening html tag (ie <html>) carries a parameter afterwards which changes for when i'm using a google map on one page. I've noticed DW sometimes doesnt like this and kicks the whole line out. It did this last month, i didnt notice until today, but all that happened was that i lost the opening html tag without realising what had happened.

the serps are a different matter though..the results this month in google are terrible.. huge drops across 80% of terms (were talking out of the top 100 when they were previously number 1), and what listings there are are missing any kind of description underneath them, and in some cases a proper page title (reverting to the site title). I've now reinstated it of course but i wasnt expectng a simple thing like a missing html tag to have such devastating effects. I've seen sites before which are missing doctypes and header completely, but perhaps things are changing?

anyway.. lesson learnt. Google will not ignore 'minor' discrepencies in important tags. Granted, this was stupid mistake, but who'd have thought it? There isnt even a cache of the site any more !!

slapped wrists for me.

Edited by adibranch, 07 September 2009 - 06:56 AM.

#2 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

duhh i even accidentally blocked all pages in robots.txt, by use of some dodgy blocking. idiot.

#3 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Sep 7 2009, 10:25 AM) View Post
duhh i even accidentally blocked all pages in robots.txt, by use of some dodgy blocking. idiot.

My guess would be that this is what kicked you the hardest.

#4 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

yeah you're right about that ! although that shouldnt have caused the loss of description snippets for the remaining indexed pages though.

. desperately witing for the next reindex now.

#5 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:29 AM

phew.gif.. re-indexed now, most pages anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.