• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Temporarily On Top Of Google Search

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DrMarie

DrMarie

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

A couple of nights ago I checked my regular search terms on Google and for every single term I was either the top site or second! I was even on the front page for REALLY competetive terms. I even checked on another computer to be sure it wasn't some weird kind of cookie thing.

Then, the next day things were back to normal (which is usually page 1, but lower down, 2 or 3).

What's up with that?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

It's completely normal. Rankings fluctuate constantly.

If I had to guess you were probably connected to a datacenter that was in the middle of an index update. Though who knows for sure, you could have also been looking at an algorithm test on an individual datacenter.

It's one of the reasons rank checking just isn't a good measurement for determining success. Not only because when you look you might be seeing something different from the norm, but also because when someone else searches they may see completely different rankings.

If you're going to look you'll need to remember that rankings change, constantly.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:52 PM

Please read Why Rankings Are a Poor Measure of Success and then stop checking them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.