• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Exact Counts Rather Than Percentages In Analytics?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hi all.

When I go into my Analytics and look under Traffic Sources > Campaigns > Goal Conversion Tab, it shows me the number of visits and a percentage of goal conversions for each source. The percentage is confusing me. For example, it says that my ad on LinkedIn generated 412 visits in August, and had the conversion rate was 4.13%. Well, if I do the math that appears to indicate that 17 whole people and .0156 of an additional person completed the goal. It seems a little fuzzy mathematically... either someone completed the goal or they didn't, right? Am I misunderstanding the meaning of that percentage? Is there any way to switch it so that it shows the actual 'real number' count of goal conversions for that source?

Thanks,
Drew

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:10 PM

If you go straight to the goals tab you can see conversions by number.

I also have a custom report that shows me the number of conversions by keywords. I think you can get that somewhere anyway, but I forget how to do it.

#3 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:39 PM

Also check out Google Analytics Report Enhancer by Jeremy Aube - it's a Greasemonkey script that really pulls a lot of data together.

#4 Drew

Drew

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

It looks like the custom reports area might give me what I'm after... the Goals area doesn't seem to have a default "by campaign" breakdown option.

#5 MaKa

MaKa

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE(Drew @ Sep 2 2009, 06:57 PM) View Post
For example, it says that my ad on LinkedIn generated 412 visits in August, and had the conversion rate was 4.13%. Well, if I do the math that appears to indicate that 17 whole people and .0156 of an additional person completed the goal. It seems a little fuzzy mathematically... either someone completed the goal or they didn't, right?

Don't worry it's not fuzzy logic, it's an artifact from rounding the numbers. (17 goals / 412 visits) * 100 = 4.12621% ... rounded to two decimals this is 4.13%. If you reverse the calculation you see the .0156th person as a result of the rounding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.