• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Re: Website Monetization Strategies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RayWrites

RayWrites

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

Hello,

Does anyone have any thoughts on monetization strategies for a site about 'Martial Arts?'

More specifically, a site/directory of martial arts clubs?

Thanking those that respond in advance.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,596 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Just a few ideas off the top of my head...

Sell ad space in the directory.

Charge a fee for a club to be considered for listing in the directory.

Let clubs get a basic single-category listing for free, but offer enhanced listings (their logo included, listing in multiple categories, expanded info about the club, etc.) for a price.

Offer the option for clubs to get "featured club" status -- with extra visibility, say with a link from the home page -- by paying an extra fee.

Start a free newsletter about goings-on in the martial arts world (upcoming competitions, competition results, clubs opening/closing/merging/splitting, martial arts in the movies and on TV, interviews with martial arts "stars", etc.) and sell ad space in the newsletter. Place a subscription link on every page of the directory.

Associated with the directory, create a private members-only paid forum where martial arts practitioners can share tips, give each other motivation, brag about accomplishments, etc.

Associated with the directory, create a private members-only paid forum where club owners/managers can freely discuss business issues (member retention, employee scheduling, facilities maintenance, etc.) away from the eyes of their club members.

Associated with the directory, create a free discussion forum for martial arts fans/practitioners and sell advertising on the forum.

Find related affiliate programs (say, a sports gear supplier who carries protective gear and other items that could be useful for those practicing martial arts, or a new-agey, aromatherapy supplier to appeal to the Tai Chi types, or a specialty retailer who carries specific martial-arts related merchandise) and promote their products or services through the directory. (And if you're really ambitious, also create a section of articles or start a blog associated with the directory where you promote their stuff.)

I'm sure there are a zillion more....

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#3 Deverill

Deverill

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:23 PM

Great stuff, Torka!

Another related thought is that martial artists over the age of about 12 oldfogey.gif have a variety of aches and pains so you could also offer paid ads to local acupuncturists, chiropractors, orthopedists, etc. It's not what you really want to think about when practicing, but everyone hurts at one time or another and these types may pay to be seen by ma's.

Gear may be an obvious channel, but you may turn off some school owners from advertising with you if they fear their students will get gear from you cheaper. Many schools depend on the sales of gear and uniforms to supplement tuitions. My instructor always said that if you are not going to support the school and you buy your uniform at K-mart you can take lessons there too. He was being funny and serious at the same time and he had a great point.

#4 seoz

seoz

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

I would use hubpages or ehow because you can write on your topic and earn a percentage of the adsense revenue and not to mention your page will get ranked very high when you first get indexed.

#5 RayWrites

RayWrites

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Torka, Deverill, and seoz,

All excellent ideas; a few of which I've already implemented i.e. Blog, Articles and different levels of membership (although I haven't yet monetized that aspect).

Also, the 'Gear' idea is a great one! I'll have to find an affiliate partner.

I'm thinking of inserting 'AdSense' on the sight as the first step: based on your collective experience, would and/or do 'Google Ads' detract from a site's credibility? Should they be placed on the Home Page; or more so on the interior pages? I'm new to AdSense so any and all information would be very much appreciated.

Kindly,

Ray

#6 BeTheBest

BeTheBest

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

There's a lot of good information here, but if you're not building a list of visitors, then you're missing the point. The key with your website (the way I see it) is that it should be generating leads for you.

If you have a list, you can then 'fit things in'. Follow? You may come up with something new and innovative next month. Who are you going to tell?? Besides, the HUGE percentage of first time visitors leave a website before taking any action. When you start to build a list of followers, you have an opportunity to stay in touch with these people.

I know you're thinking it sounds like work. But if it's worth it, it usually is. Hope this helps!

<edit> By the way, when I mention building a list, I am talking about proper OPT-IN e-mail list - Not spam. Just thought I needed to add that

#7 AnimatedMarketing

AnimatedMarketing

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(RayWrites @ Aug 31 2009, 12:14 PM) View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any thoughts on monetization strategies for a site about 'Martial Arts?'

More specifically, a site/directory of martial arts clubs?

Thanking those that respond in advance.

It's funny you ask. I happen to have the exact same type of site, that I haven't had much time to work with.

Ignore the following paragraphs if you are getting 500-1000+ uniques/day.

The problem with this type of site is there are a ton of competitors out there. To monetize something, you must first get traffic to it. To get traffic to a Martial arts directory, you must wade through all the Local Martial arts schools and Nationwide directory sites and try to get some organic traffic.

It is possible, but don't expect quick results. You need links to your site and a good site seo-friendly site structure that will be easy to crawl. And lastly, some good quality content that sets your site apart from the other directories.

Then follow the good advice of the above contributors.

Good Luck,

BR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!