• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Important Is Wc3 Validation To Ranking In Google?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jack84526

jack84526

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

Hi,

How much importance does WC3 validation play in ranking well in Google?

I have a vbulletin forum with over 1,000,000 posts and my Google rankings SUCK. I'm even using vbSEO. With my niche and amount of posts, I should be ranking much better than I am.

I ran the WC3 validator, and it found....

35 errors on my main forum front page.
34 on my thread listing page
63 errors on an average thread page.

How much effect do you think these errors are having on my rankings?

Thanks.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

Welcome Jack ! hi.gif

Assuming Googlebot can still read the page, and they usually can, those errors are having exactly zero effect on your rankings.

W3C validation is not and has never been a factor in the ranking algorithms. Whether the pages can be fetched and spidered of course does have an effect, for obvious reasons. But even if the pages are not being indexed I would look at things other than HTML validation long before even considering it a potential problem. Beginning with the URL structure of the forum pages and specifically whether there is anything resembling a Session ID in the URLs when Googlebot visits.

#3 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

How much importance does WC3 validation play in ranking well in Google?

None!

Ask 1dmf whistling.gif

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

ditto. It has no bearing whatsover, as long as your pages are rendering correctly.

#5 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

the whole W3C validation thing is a snake oil myth put around by web designers. the ONLY time I have seen code matter was when it was badly written and caused the spiders to choke. I have never seen a case where the entire page was cached, when improving the quality of code helped one Iota.

#6 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

None!

Ask 1dmf
hysterical.gif

To be honest no-one actually knows. As no one has full access to the G! algo, maybe there is some advantage given to those that are 100% W3C compliant.

Perhaps the algo doesn't even know who W3C is, but that isn't the point.

The G! algo and W3C standards are not related and there is no reason to link them.

Making your site W3C standards is not for SEO sake wink1.gif

Some of the standards are there for users as well as the disabled, make your site as google friendly as you like, but if it doesn't work with screen readers or meet accessability guidelines, especially if the industry you are in require you too meet these guidelines, what's the point, Google won't sue you , but activists for human rights will.

OK makybe i'm overstating it, but it should at least make you think!

One thing in my experience however does seem to show, that 99% of W3C standards compliance automatically makes your site SE friendly by semantic default , sort of SEO'd by nature.

OK there are other things which make the whole SEO picture , we know that, but if you think standards, accessibility and semantics, you have great code , which is SE friendly and all you have to do is copytext and off page SEO, it's a no brainer really.

There is also potential if you have really bad tag soup that the SE's can't properly understand your page content, SEO & Standards go hand in hand.

You don't do one and not the other, if you want to do the job properly do BOTH!

#7 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

Spend your time on something that's actually going to be useful to someone. Clean code looks pretty, but customers don't care what your HTML looks like.

#8 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:20 AM

And I know nothing of plumbing, heating, carpentry or electrics, but if I hire a tradesman, they better do a standards compliant job!

Whether i'd notice or not, if they don't they are merely cowboys cowgirl.gif , what sort of web coder would you prefer wink1.gif

#9 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(jack84526 @ Aug 31 2009, 08:08 AM) View Post
I ran the WC3 validator, and it found....

35 errors on my main forum front page.
34 on my thread listing page
63 errors on an average thread page.

Thanks.

The reason why the W3C is so bad on your forum is mainly down to the wysiwyg editor, normally FCK (where your members type their posts). These editors are appallingly bad for including excess and incorrect code in posts and CMS pages.

As others have said, the wont have an effect on your rankings, but sometimes can be so bad that they present themselves as gobbledygook to search engines. However, the real problem here will be vbulletin code, even when using the SEO addon. I'[ve yet to see a developed module for ANY package which is any good at SEO, as they're written by developers and not SEO peeps. The same goes for the entire vbulletin system, have you ever taken a look at the code? how do you expect search engines to make head or tail of it?

Your best option is to have a front end site to catch visitors and search engines, and leave vbulletin to get on with it.

#10 LizardSEO

LizardSEO

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

Most surely - the validation tag is more of a "hey look what I did" for developers and designers. Google really does not care too much. I guess it might help maybe from a marketing standpoint in some cases, but it will not affect SEO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.