• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Says I Have: "pages With Duplicate Title Tags"

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:41 PM

Here is what google webmaster gives me:

Missing title tags 0
Duplicate title tags 3 (when i click on it, it gives me 3 links to posts in my blog on my website)
Long title tags 0
Short title tags 0
Non-informative title tags 0

What does it mean and how do i fix it?
thanks

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

If they're blog posts and you want to change their title tags, it's going to depend on the CMS that runs the blog and whether you've got any plugins installed that allow you to alter titles. In most cases, the system will generate the page title based on a combination of your settings and the title of the post.

#3 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

The <title> tag is the same on three different pages on your site. You'll want to change them up a little bit. If they're being dynamically generated, change the way it generates them to include more variety. If you're naming them manually, change the names to be more specific. If they're being generated dynamically and you can't change the way it generates them, change the content it's pulling from a little bit in order to come up with a different name.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:21 PM

It tells me the forum title tags are duplicate too, when clearly they aren't.

In many cases, you can just ignore what Webmaster tools tells you.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 05:06 PM

The forum does have duplicate title tags. Any thread that runs for more than one page will have the same title on each of its pages. The thing is, it makes perfect sense for the forum software to do that, IMO.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

Very true, but the ones they were showing seemed to be every page. But maybe it was just as you were saying. I'll have to check it some day when I'm in there.

I don't use Webmaster tools too much as it never seems all that helpful other than when it gives you a real crawling error of some sort.

#7 wonder371

wonder371

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

I had this problem on my blog too. Fixing it did result in better search engine traffic from the pages in question. Webmaster tools does a good job on telling you the specific links.

If you are using a wordpress based blog download a SEO plugin that allows the changing of title, description, and keywords. Definitely make sure the titles are all different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.