• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Would A Blank Page Have A Top 10 Ranking On Google

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

I have a client who is a Realtor and we are working to get ranked for anytown usa real estate. We've just begun but she's bothered that a blank page is ranked in the top five for anytown usa real estate. I looked and sure enough its a blank page. Apparently the company went under and there site has been blank for months. When you click on view code you get this.
<HTML>
<!-- Nothing to see here. -->
</HTML>
And the site doesn't have more than two dozen links. Why wouldn't the spiders just discount this site?

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

Did you view the cached version, is that the same?

#3 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:03 AM

Google is always very slow to drop web pages/URLs and they can persist for very many months. I think it would be better if they disappeared more quickly but Google does not seem to have got around to that.

#4 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Aug 28 2009, 06:33 AM) View Post
Did you view the cached version, is that the same?

Yes, the snapshot of the page is blank. According to my client its bee like that for some time.

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

How many links point to the blank page?

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

hmm, if G!'s already re-indexed and cached the page, I can only think PR juice from IBL's is doing this.

Not sure if G! caches a page and ranks/indexed it separately though, so the cache showing the up-to-date page might not mean it's been re-indexed, which you would hope would drop the page.

#7 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(Scottie @ Aug 28 2009, 08:14 AM) View Post
How many links point to the blank page?

According to Yahoo just 132

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

If the query is relatively uncompetitive, and if Google doesn't recache the page often, it can retain its former ranking for months after losing both links and content.

This is not the sort of thing your client should be concerned with. Your client should focus on his/her site. The other one will eventually go away (unless someone is hiding a lot of links -- which would be kind of silly for a blank page, unless they're experimenting with hidden link techniques).

You don't hide links from search engines, btw. You hide them from people who study backlinks. It's pretty easy to do but usually not worth the effort.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Aug 28 2009, 03:12 PM) View Post
If the query is relatively uncompetitive, and if Google doesn't recache the page often, it can retain its former ranking for months after losing both links and content.

Potentially years. smile.gif I had a site I used to work on for a band -- then the band leader asked me to take it down, as they'd registered a new domain and apparently had a fan lined up to "maintain" their new site for free.

So I did. And because I was a little PO'd at them due to the way the whole situation was handled, I took it down hard. I removed all the sub-pages, leaving only the home page. The only content left on the home page was "So long and thanks for all the fish" and some text (not an actual link) giving their new URL. (Which, as it happens, has changed yet again, but I haven't bothered to go back and update this page, as it isn't actually a link in the first place.)

I even took out the title tag.

A year later, the one-page site was still ranking #1 for the band's name -- which, frankly, is not a hugely competitive query. At the moment, over two years on, that old home page is still in the top five, outranking the band's entry in Wikipedia. giggle.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#10 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:04 AM

That's crazy Torka. Do you wonder why bother with SEO sometimes, when old pages in such a poor state of affairs stay in the index with high rankings.

Makes a mockery of the SE's and their Algo's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.