• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Adding Non-relative Links, Good Or Bad?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

I can add about 30-40 links that point to my site, but all not relative to my site's content. Will this be beneficial or no?
So, i guess my question is, Will it benefit me or not to add non-relative inbound links to my website?

question #2:
My website was on the first page of google for about 2-3 weeks, but once the site i was linking to (thats the main purpose of my site, to direct people to another site) was under construction, my site dropped from 1st to 3rd page...How can i get it back up to first page?

Thanks in advance, i really hope i can get some help here biggrin.gif

ps, sorry for my English biggrin.gif

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

As Debra Mastaler says, a link is a link is a link. They all count to a certain extent.

I guess I'd worry about getting links from "bad" sites but to be honest, I have links from "bad" sites. I didn't solicit them- they are scraped content.

If these are the ONLY links your site has, don't expect much to result from them. The theory I've heard is that the ratio of "relevant" links to "irrelevant" links makes a difference... if your site only has "junk" links it won't be trusted as much as a site that has less links, but they are relevant links.

It's up to you to decide, but I wouldn't go chasing irrelevant links.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:10 AM

In addition to what Scottie said, you'd probably want to have a lot of good, on-topic links from other people (that you didn't add yourself) before getting these not so great ones.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

I'm not sure how a link to your site won't be relevant to the content. Are you saying you can get links for "blue wingate feather habitators" but your site is only concerned with "orange and purple blistomulators"? Any link that simply names your site (using the site root URL or title) should be fine and is -- in my opinion -- completely relevant to your site. It becomes relevant to your content if enough similar links are created (not that I am suggesting you go on a link binge).

#5 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

Thanks everyone! You guys are great!
One more question, what is a 'good' amount of inbound links?
Thanks smile.gif

#6 SEO FF

SEO FF

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

Scottie said it very well. A link is a link at the end of the day. Although you cannot control who links to you, you can control who you link to. Try to make sure you don't link out to bad neighborhoods.

If these "irrelevant" links are the only links you have, you should probably get to work on getting some related, high quality links.

In regards to your rankings falling, don't get so worried. This is normal, especially if your site went under construction. If you're URL's stayed the same, the rankings will come back eventually. If you changed your URL's, you need to 301 redirect your old URL's to the new URL's so the authority and juice is passed along. Some higher quality links should help prevent these fluctuations a bit. One of the reasons ranks bounce around is b/c acquired links become devalued by the search engines. The higher quality links tend to hold longer and provide longer term benefits.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

One more question, what is a 'good' amount of inbound links?

No, 10.

No wait, 100.

In other words, there's no specific number. It depends on the links and the site.

#8 andruha

andruha

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 29 2009, 10:24 AM) View Post

No, 10.

No wait, 100.

In other words, there's no specific number. It depends on the links and the site.

lol, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!