• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Usability Best Practices

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 strike_balance

strike_balance

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

I am wondering if there is any research available that would illustrate best practices from a Web site layout perspective. Trying to gain more insight into the old vertical vs. horizontal navigation debate, etc. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

where the menu resides is a design issue not usability issue.

As long as the menu you do have is easy to use, easy to find, plus user & multi-browser friendly! I don't see this as an issue at all.

I would say having it at the top of the page would be a good idea, and if it is vertical, left hand side tends to be the norm as english read from left to right.

But perhaps depending on your language / target audience, right hand side might be better.

At least with it at the top, reading direction is a non-issue!

#3 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Agreed with 1dmf... there are many ways to layout a user friendly navigation system.

Eye heatmap studies have shown people scan a web page in sort of an F pattern- across the top, down the side and then across the middle.

Thinking of that, if you place your most important elements either along the top or left side or both, you're good to go.

#4 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

Look at the ways a lot of other, bigger sites lay out their pages. People have an easier time navigating when they are familiar with your layout before they even land on your site.

Obviously that doesn't mean you should copy someone else's design, but following common basic layouts is always a good bet.

#5 lenwood

lenwood

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

Sorry to raise a dead thread, but I'm also interested in this and have come across a couple of things that may be useful here. You may already know about Crazy Egg, it's a service that generates heatmaps of where visitors click on your pages. Click Heat is a free open source tool that does the same thing.

Also, AB tests displays examples of updates that people have made to their sites, and how each has affected conversion rates.

Hope this is helpful.

#6 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

Crazy Egg is excellent.
Very intuitive so no real number crunching required.

On one of my sites it showed that people were not using the nav at all rather hitting images.
Total redesign required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.