• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Staled In The Google Index

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dvancouver

dvancouver

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

I recently have seen my index numbers in Google go from 165,000 range to a steady decline to around 30,000. That number will go up to 32,000 then back down to 29,600, I don't know what to do here, it's really starting to be painful. I have a site forum with over 4 million posts and around 300,000 topics. So I decided to submitted a sitemap and turned up the crawl rate in Webmaster tools but Google is barely crawling the sitemap. It's been over a week since I submitted the sitemap and even though there is close to 100,000 links in the sitemap for it to look at, it's only indexed over 5,000. I cannot seem to get past 32,000 indexed as every day it changes back to the around 30,000. I cannot see what I am doing wrong and I even asked to have the site reconsidered in Google and Google gave the generic no information response. It's been weeks and weeks that I have been watching the index in Google stay flat, anyone have ideas to what I could do to get that index moving?

Now there is some 9,000 duplicate tag titles that I thought are getting a penalty but even so there is a lot more urls to index that Google can't seem to get going on. Any advice or help please?

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

Google is doing this a lot lately, it is dropping older pages for newer content. Sadly it looks like your pages simply aren't worthy.

#3 dvancouver

dvancouver

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

Wow that is harsh lol. After all my site has been around for 10+ years and I can't see that really being the cause. I am not saying that just because I don't like the answer it just seems a bit to odd, I go from being a authority site to a nobody.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:29 PM

It's been over a week since I submitted the sitemap and even though there is close to 100,000 links in the sitemap for it to look at

Well, you have a problem with this statement alone. Google tops out XML Sitemaps at 50,000 urls per Sitemap. So at a minimum you'd have to create multiple Sitemaps, where each contained 50,000 or fewer URLs, then either submit them separately or reference them in a Sitemap Index file.

Beyond this though, having an XML Sitemap does not guarantee that those URLs will be crawled or indexed. Sitemaps can useful for sites that have funky URLs that Googlebot has trouble crawling. However G'bot obviously crawled all of those URLs before so that doesn't seem to be the case. Even with the Sitemaps I wouldn't expect any miracles, given what you've described.

If it's something that's just happened recently it may be a temporary fluke that'll correct itself. Or could be an issue with their reporting number again. (Hey, it's happened before!) I assume you've already looked into possibilities like someone having changed the robots.txt file so that it's not excluding some of your urls, or a meta robots tag being tweak in your forum code.

If it's not recent and there is nothing standing in Googlebot's way then it comes down to Google changing the way they do things or changing they view they have of your site. Impossible to say on that one without a lot more details since I've seen both happen and they look pretty darned similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!