• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Selling Links And Nofollow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

I want to sell links on my website, but I don't want to fall foul of Google. The link brokerage system I used automatically places the links on the site so I can't stick in a nofollow. If I surround the ad unit with <a rel="nofollow"></a> will that work?

#2 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

Are your advertisers aware that their ads are going to be nofollowed?

#3 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

Not explicitly, but I'd assume they'd check. You can't hide the fact.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

No your <a rel="nofollow" won't work. It's also a coding error, but that's not the way nofollow is set up to work.

Not to mention that it's bad form at the very least, possibly entering into the territory of fraud if you're being paid for one thing but delivering something else. The linkee's would need to be told before paying that you intend to nofollow your links. Which is probably going to get you kicked out of the program.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

You should check the brokerage's terms of service to make sure they don't forbid your using code to alter the state of their code.

Some people ARE buying links to manipulate Google's PageRank and anchor text transformations -- which, of course, is why Google is so upset with paid links. If you want to sell ads and have control over how they link out, I suggest you shop around and find another network.

#6 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

I personally would be really annoyed by paying for a quality link and then having no follow - i think that will hurt you in the form of bad postings on forums etc

#7 Hank Cowdog

Hank Cowdog

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Location:Chair, Den, Wylie, Outside Dallas, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(jasonw @ Aug 21 2009, 10:32 AM) View Post
I want to sell links on my website, but I don't want to fall foul of Google. The link brokerage system I used automatically places the links on the site so I can't stick in a nofollow. If I surround the ad unit with <a rel="nofollow"></a> will that work?

If the ad brokerage system inserts the ads via JavaScript/AJAX/IFRAME/another client-side mechanism, then it is likely the spiders won't index those links anyway, so this may be a non-issue.

There are two broad reasons for paying for links: SEO influence and traffic. If the links are clearly for traffic, then there is little/no reason why clients would care whether the links are nofollowed. If they are clearly to try to influence the SERPS, then changing the formatting of the links will raise the ire of your clients. If selling links on your site is something you are contemplating, but have not yet implemented, then coming up with a system that flags the links as nofollows _before_ going live would be in your best interest.

If you can't do the nofollow, putting a "sponsored link" text header above the sponsored links would clarify things. Google does not NOFOLLOW their adwords links, but they do put a "Sponsored Links" header over the ads. Here is the start of the PPC ads section of a search for "apple pie". Note that the a href tag does not have a rel="nofollow", but that there is a Sponsored Links header over the ad:

CODE
<h2 style="margin:0;padding:2px 0 0;text-align:left">Sponsored Links</h2>
<ol onmouseover="return true" class=nobr>
<li>
<h3>
<a id=an1 href="/aclk?sa=L&amp;ai=CguwbT47wSrShDcuItgeHxoiPA8rFn5wB8Puqqwyi7LAFEAEoBFCquKbC-P____8BYMmmiI3kpMATyAEBqgQZT9DGsF-Ba4Y7ZHqpPPBtcCkwCJCVW_dHvw&amp;num=1&amp;sig=AGiWqtxWXx_lvm27ZUB9gZPFPVMQx_vpXA&amp;q=http://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click%3Flid%3D43000000179995180%26ds_s_kwgid%3D58000000004097936%26ds_e_adid%3D3217135482%26ds_e_matchtype%3Dsearch%26ds_url_v%3D2">
<b>Apple Pie</b>
</a>
</h3>
Pillsbury® Recipe-Packed Email<br>
Newsletter. Sign Up, Its Free.<br>
<cite>www.Pillsbury.com</cite>

#8 icecape67

icecape67

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(jasonw @ Aug 21 2009, 08:32 AM) View Post

if you are setting the links as no follow then it deffinitly sounds like you are misleading the people who are buying them. Since the main reason people buy links in the first place is to gain reputation in the SE's, i don't think your advertisers are going to be too happy if they find out that the link are not being followed

#9 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE(jasonw @ Aug 21 2009, 01:32 PM) View Post

If your advertisers are buying them purely for traffic..then there is no real issue.

But if they are buying them for PR purposes then I agree with Randy...you would be close to committing fraud by "no-follow"..be careful!!

In fact forget the whole idea!

unsure.gif

#10 perkle

perkle

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(jasonw @ Aug 21 2009, 09:32 AM) View Post

When I sell advertising on my site and identify it as such and comply with the search engine guidelines by adding the rel nofollow to the link to the advertisers site by agreement, does the engines count the link from the advertisers site back to my site of any value. Does that link help my site in any way and if so could you explain “HOW” apart from the monetary cost I receive.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,966 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

does the engines count the link from the advertisers site back to my site of any value.

Do the links to your site have nofollow on them? If so, they probably aren't counting as a link. If not, then they probably do count as a link.

#12 perkle

perkle

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jan 4 2010, 01:13 PM) View Post
Do the links to your site have nofollow on them? If so, they probably aren't counting as a link. If not, then they probably do count as a link.

No the links linking in do not have nofollow.

Thanks Jill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!