• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Competitor With Same Name In Serps

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NicNel

NicNel

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

OK - this is a little complex and I can't go into detail with the actual name but:

We have a competitor who is using a name that we have a trademark for in the UK but they are using it elsewhere (legitimately) in the world.

However, they have now bought a variation of the same domain name on 3rd country's domain extension as have we.

Our problem is that they offer an identical service to ours and we need to try and water down their serps results by over riding it with our own.

We can't go after the whole domain name confusion thingy because both of us are using the variation which is not for our respective countries anyway and it would be too costly.

Our website is much bigger, much older and has a lot more traffic so we need a quick and legitimate way in which to try and water down their serps rankings for the company name.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

The basic issue is that you're going to be limited to a maximum of two ranking instances any an SERP page per domain.

So what you'll need to do to push them down is get more unique domains ranking in the top 10 or 20, hopefully with those pointing to your main domain. It can be difficult because each is going to need to stand on its own merits, but it can be done. Either by optimizing a bunch of different domains you register or sometimes by getting involved in the various social media outlets out there and optimizing a page or two for the brand name search term.

#3 NicNel

NicNel

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

phew.gif - that is going to be quite hard then isn't it! So rather than having the various domain names that we already have simply re-directing to our site, we need to create pages for them with unique content that then links to our main site - is that correct?

I had wondered about the social media outlets - we are on some but not all so I will look at those too!

Many thanks Randy.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

It's not easy. But usually not all that hard when you're dealing with phrases that have limited competition like brand names and such. angel_not.gif

The two tricks no matter if you use the social media or owned domains are:

1. Make sure they each have totally unique content.
2. While making sure they all target the brand name phrase you're trying to nail down.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

Watch their reaction carefully. This kind of strategy can backfire and start an SEO war, with each side adding more domains, content, and links.

It may be better just to share the name space, if you rank above them.

Don't assume it will be a quick, inexpensive process. You would be very, very lucky if that turned out to be the case.

I have a lot of experience in these kinds of campaigns. They are rarely over quickly and easily -- not with contested name spaces.

#6 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

I have a somewhat similar situation, minus the competition.

I'm just about to get started with a new client who owns about a dozen domains, all displaying the same content. In my proposal, I had recommended just putting a 301 on all of them, but I got an email from them this morning indicating that they want to talk about what it would take to use those extra domains to monopolize the SERPs for their keywords.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea. They've got very little unique content to begin with, so it's going to be a lot of work to create worthwhile content for a bunch of sites.

One technical thing I'm not sure about is whether the fact that these domains all share the same registration data is going to be an issue. If I ran a search engine I'd ignore similar sites that were owned by the same people. I know that people get away with getting multiple sites ranked for the same searches all the time, though.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

I'm just about to get started with a new client who owns about a dozen domains, all displaying the same content. In my proposal, I had recommended just putting a 301 on all of them, but I got an email from them this morning indicating that they want to talk about what it would take to use those extra domains to monopolize the SERPs for their keywords.

ick. I see it all the time. Sometimes it works great too. For awhile.

Regardless, I always recommend against it. At least if you want to sleep at night.

#8 NicNel

NicNel

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 18 2009, 09:28 PM) View Post
One technical thing I'm not sure about is whether the fact that these domains all share the same registration data is going to be an issue. If I ran a search engine I'd ignore similar sites that were owned by the same people. I know that people get away with getting multiple sites ranked for the same searches all the time, though.

I wondered about this Qwerty.

Interesting thoughts from everyone - thank you. I think we may have to go down the social media route and keep working on the rest of our keyword phrases. The name itself does not bring in a huge amount of traffic, but ultimately they are currently profiting from our 4 years of hard work and hard earnt cash by using this trading name! girl_cray2.gif

It has highlighted just what a nightmare domain name/trademark territory really is!!!

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

I can't say 100% for sure it's just the Whois data, but my experience says the more connection that has been established between the domains the greater the chances there will be filtering taking place. And I highly suspect that since there has already been duplicate content issues the combination of this very strong signal and identical Whois data is going to cause filtering to kick in. The chances of having filtering kick in get even higher if the extra domains have also shared the same server.

I can't prove it and I'm honestly not sure it can be proved or disproved, but my personal theory is it'll come down to the signals they're being sent or have already been sent and the relative strength of those signals. As opposed to the appearance of one and only one element. Sort of like how ranking well doesn't come down to one single thing, but several smaller things that combine to result in good ranking ability.

#10 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Focus, focus, focus is always the watchword in my book. It's best to concentrate your efforts on one domain and 301 the rest as you all have said.

No one mentioned but perhaps it was assumed that a blog is almost a given as the most effective way of investing your efforts into a website. The blog also provides lots of potential hooks to get the social media links as well.

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

If they are adamant about leveraging multiple domains for a single name space, they need to diversify the content because if it's an active query then sooner or later their duplication will be filtered out.

If they've been getting away with this for any length of time, without having seen the query, I would guess it's not very active.

Registration data doesn't really hurt you in the SERPs unless you're a "known" spammer.

I have worked with some clients in similar situations. They wanted to keep the duplicate content on the domains and have me rank them all for competitive expressions.

Those kinds of expectations set the pace for interesting times.

#12 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

reputation management like this is a real tough one. If you dominate the top 10, then they will do all in their power to break that dominance, including reporting things to Google ona na almost daily bases etc.

#13 NicNel

NicNel

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Aug 19 2009, 09:26 PM) View Post
If they are adamant about leveraging multiple domains for a single name space, they need to diversify the content because if it's an active query then sooner or later their duplication will be filtered out.

So if, for example, you had a website about "How to Fish" but then you wanted a separate website on "Fishing Accessories" and another one on "Places to Fish" and you chose to call them www.fishing-howto.co.uk www.fishing-whereto.co.uk, and www.fishing-accessories.co.uk would this a) cause a problem in SERPS and if not cool.gif be of any advantage to you in SERPS?

Would it be better to use sub-domains?

This is coming from both a SERPS and a user-friendliness perspective as it is a huge subject.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:05 AM

I would just put it all on one site. You could use subdomains bu it doesn't seem necessary. It's much better to have one comprehensive fishing site than a bunch of little ones that are less comprehensive.

#15 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,620 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:57 AM

So if, for example, you had a website about "How to Fish" but then you wanted a separate website on "Fishing Accessories" and another one on "Places to Fish"

Your example illustrates why you're better off creating a single site. People who are interested in learning how to fish are bound to be interested in fishing accessories and places to fish. These aren't separate audiences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!