• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Directory Submissions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Martin C

Martin C

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

I take your point Randy and agree that some links may have an initial SERP value that diminishes over time although in the example you gave the website is still ahead in the short term - and in the long term I would just say that maybe they do all they can to also build up their quality links.

There are many people out there that are trying to link build and they naturally try many things, some of their efforts prove effective for a short period of time, others for a longer period, some of their efforts will have a significant cost attached to them, others require a significant investment in time, some generate links that are worthless right from the word go, some backlinks will help towards a websites SERP and others will drive traffic in otherways. There are worthless links but I think we agree there are few if any negative links.

#17 RoadTrucker

RoadTrucker

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Aug 17 2009, 04:59 PM) View Post
And it will work up to a point lister. But there's always that caveat.

Let's say their competitors keep on building better quality links in an effort to displace them in the rankings, and this site keeps on directory/blog/forum/whatever spamming to keep their ranking edge. At a certain point they'll reach a point where their crap backlinks will far outnumber those decent quality links they have pointing at their site. When that happens their site suddenly loses some of the trust placed in it by the search engines, even if they don't involve themselves in any other questionable tactics. Plus they'll be competing against stiffer competition who have done things the right way.

I would think if the links are bad in the beginning, they would basically be non-existent and not affect a trust factor one way or another. Although it would seem that Google might use the ratio of good to bad links to at least some degree, I would think any lost ground would be from a change in the delta (rate of acquiring new links). Also the consistency in terms of those links over time. If you hit 1000 directories, I would think you would have x number of bad links, but on the 2nd 1000, you would have x plus bad links, as you found it harder to fine good directories, which effectively reduces your delta of good links over time. When I started I only submitted to DMOZ, Yahoo and about 3 others, which I cannot remember. But we did very well. Things change though and I do agree that the submitting does seem to work better than we would like to think. I hope your right, that after a year or 2, it will cost them. Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!