• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domain Name With & Without The "www"s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NicNel

NicNel

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

I am sure the answer to this lies within the forum somewhere but as I don't know what it is called I can't find it when searching!

My question is:

Does the fact that Google will find a domain name by "http://www.domain.com" as well as "http://domain.com" a problem?

If so why and what should be done to re-direct Google to one or the other?

Thanks!

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

They often sort out this potential issue all by themselves NicNel, but if they don't it can end up splitting your PageRank/Link Popularity.

It's called a couple of different things. Some refer to it as simply www/non-www. The technically correct reference would be canonicalization. Which is probably why so many refer to it as simply www/non-www. giggle.gif

Lots of info in how to handle these sorts of things if necessary down in our Redirects section of the forum. Where I'll be moving your post to in just a second.

The first thing to do is conduct a site:yourdomain.com type of search on Google etal to see if it's a problem or if they've already sorted it. If they only list one version of your site's domain address they've already got it under control. If they don't you can either set up a Google Webmaster Account for the site and designate one or the other there, or you can set up 301's from one address to the other.

FTR, I always set up redirects at the server level. Partly for the search engines, but mostly because my e-commerce sites all have a secure certificate installed. Those will also throw an error for users if the SSL cert is tied to one version of the address but they're able to land on the other version.

#3 jehochman

jehochman

Jonathan Hochman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

(Typing at the same time as Randy)

Google should be smart enough to figure out that they are the same sites, but why leave it to chance? If people link to you using different urls, you will want to have 301 redirects to consolidate the PageRank with the canonical url. I have an article that lists all the different methods you can use with code samples:

http://www.hochmanco...e-domains.shtml

#4 NicNel

NicNel

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Thank you so much both of you - it would indeed seem that Google for one has only got the with www registered so we should be ok! I will check out your article though jehochman too!

#5 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:33 AM

one thing I would say here is that I have noticed Google getting worse at this rather than better. It is a cause of a lot of ranking losses of late. (in many of the cases I have had of late)

#6 NicNel

NicNel

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Aug 18 2009, 08:33 AM) View Post
one thing I would say here is that I have noticed Google getting worse at this rather than better. It is a cause of a lot of ranking losses of late. (in many of the cases I have had of late)

Bore Da OWG! (yep - it's me aka SmellieNellie!)

Thank you for that - I have noticed that it is not a problem at the moment, but maybe I should set up a 301 re-direct just to be on the safe side!

Diolch! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.