• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Seo Work In Another Language

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:13 AM

I've been asked to do a proposal for an SEO project for a site in Italian. I'm an English speaker and know some Spanish but know absolutely no Italian. How can I do keyword research in a language and culture I know nothing about? I could get a translator to translate my keyword list from the research done in English but something may get lost in translation.

any advice?

Eddy

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

I would do myself and the potential client a huge favor and turn down the job myself.

The chances of something going terribly wrong would be much higher than the chances of there being no major mistakes. Unless you know an Italian agency you trust enough to subcontract with that is. If that were the case you might be able to consult with them to offer pointers and let them handle the implementation.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:13 PM

Agree with Randy. It's impossible to do SEO, imo, in a language other than that of which you speak.

#4 jehochman

jehochman

Jonathan Hochman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

Devil's advocate here. I've optimized sites in French, done their PPC campaigns, and gotten good results. It depends what's wrong with the site. If they have structural problems with their links and code, fixing that stuff will help them. Does the client have an in house copywriter to whom you can explain how to write copy and make page titles? This stuff isn't rocket science. I've had good luck teaching people how to do that stuff for themselves.

I do speak both Spanish and Italian, and have spent a couple weeks in Paris so I can pick my way through French. Some familiarity with the language and a good translator would be fine. I've shipped long lists of keywords to clients and asked them to rank the keyphrases 1-5 depending on how relevant they are. That's been useful at times. I've asked clients to write ads after showing them effective examples in English.

#5 EddyGonzalez

EddyGonzalez

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:13 AM

Jonathan the site is fairly well optimized it is a direct transalation of an English version. They will have a local copywriter who speaks English and in fact I have worked with her for the Adwords campaign which was fairly succesful.

I've shipped long lists of keywords to clients and asked them to rank the keyphrases 1-5 depending on how relevant they are.

thats a good idea and I can see that working well.

Thanks for the tips theres some good nuggets there
Eddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!