• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Space Vs. No Space, 'and' Vs. '&'

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hello, folks --

Question about keyword variations.

One of the search phrases we are optimizing for has two variations: 'iso 9001' and 'iso9001'.

Another on has a different kind of variation: 'occupational health and satefy' and 'occupational health & safety'.

When I enter either of the latter variations into Google, the SERPs show many instances of the former variations in the page titles and descriptions.

This would make me think that the search engines recognize correctly that the variations are synonymous and should be integrated on the SERPs; however, the thing that puzzles me is that despite the integration, the SERP are significantly different depending on which variation you enter.

What's the advice for this? Should I make sure that my site has pages containing both variations? Or should I just optimize for the variation that get the most searches and leave it at that?

Your input is appreciated.

TIA,
Eric

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:15 AM

It really depends upon the specific details Eric.

Usually you do need to target both variations a bit if you want to rank well for both. Sometimes you don't though, if the search engines consider them to be the same thing. Sometimes you don't if the vast majority of people searching only search one way. But even then you need to track how people are searching because habits do change every now and then.

The devil is in the details. So there's really not any one stock answer that will apply across the board.

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Yes, you need content for both because searches are likely to be either.
Google indicates 13 million with the space and 34 million without.
If it were me, I would also target the predecessor, which if my memory serves me correctly, will have been BS5750 from the UK on which most of the ISO9000 series is progressed from.

#4 EricLaszlo

EricLaszlo

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(piskie @ Aug 16 2009, 06:20 PM) View Post
Google indicates 13 million with the space and 34 million without.

Thanks, everyone. I was guessing correctly that there wouldn't be one easy answer for this...

Piskie, could you please let me know where you're seeing those search counts for iso9001 and iso 9001? Google Insights for Search is showing much higher numbers for the latter.

Eric

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:50 AM

In the normal Google Search results page, to the Right near the top, there is a set of Figures. This says "Results 1 to 10 of about 34.500,000 for iso 9001"
The actual total figure will vary, but it will be of the same order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.