• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Effective Are Mini Sites Seo Wise?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

I work with a lot of microsites for clients. Some of them are very productive. Some of them are less so.

I try to caution people whenever I see them asking about "the SEO value of method X" because it appears to me they are going for quick fixes and not really thinking things through.

#17 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,708 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:38 AM

smile.gif Oddly enough you rarely see any threads asking

What's the commercial value of X smile.gif

#18 icebaby25

icebaby25

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Aug 14 2009, 12:20 PM) View Post
Hi Web Deb,

did you read that he is in fact talking about sub domains rather than totally independent sites? I agree with much of what you say if it applies, but not with regard sub domains, as it defeats the whole object IMO

Well its she who is talking tongue.gif anyways Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments, which will help me work better towards deciding how to go about mini/sub sites.

Thanks a Lot... smile.gif

#19 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

If you can make mini sites or separate blogs on a related but different domain make sense toward your ultimate goal of gaining new visitors or increasing link popularity, then yeah go for it.

#20 icebaby25

icebaby25

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE(kynduvme @ Aug 19 2009, 03:12 PM) View Post
If you can make mini sites or separate blogs on a related but different domain make sense toward your ultimate goal of gaining new visitors or increasing link popularity, then yeah go for it.

Yeah Kynduvme.. thats the main goal to attract visitors to a specific service page. But then again also having mini sites will dilute the LB benefits.. .. so lets see what happens... Thanks anyways smile.gif

#21 AmIAwesome

AmIAwesome

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Aug 14 2009, 02:52 PM) View Post
I work with a lot of microsites for clients. Some of them are very productive. Some of them are less so.

Michael, any experience in using separate c class hosting to maximize value between the microsite and parent site? Do you find how you host these microsites as even making a difference?

#22 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(bigT @ Aug 26 2009, 01:02 PM) View Post
Michael, any experience in using separate c class hosting to maximize value between the microsite and parent site? Do you find how you host these microsites as even making a difference?

I've worked with groups of sites both on single IP addresses and in separate C-Class IP address blocks.

I have found there is almost no SEO value in using multiple C-Class IP address blocks to host related sites. The only SEO value I have found is in counter-intelligence measures (preventing, discouraging, or hindering other SEOs in their investigations of Web sites).

Search engines don't care how many sites are hosted on an IP address. They care about what those sites are doing and what other sites do about them.

I would not go out of my way to build a network of microsites on separate IP addresses, unless they are sending out email to targeted audiences. You never know when an innocent IP address will be blocked by oversuspicious antispam measures.

#23 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

The problem with mini sites is that there is no such thing.

One might mean several small completely seperate sites that have nothing in common other than ownership. Some people mean a network connected via links & with many commonalities (design etc.). Many companies with different regional sub companies do this. Others refer to areas in a site. By that last definition, most large sites have mini sites. A blog on your site could be a mini site. So could a forum. About.com is a collection of sort of mini sites.

#24 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:05 PM

About.com is not a collection of mini sites. It's a tightly integrated Web site that just happens to sprawl across many subdomains. Wordpress.com is a collection of Web sites (which I would not call micro- or mini- sites). Blogspot is a collection of Web sites. Squidoo is probably a collection of microsites. I'm not sure how large a lens can become but I believe most if not all are about 1 page.

#25 SEO FF

SEO FF

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:09 PM

Something else to think about is that this will create more SEO work for the company or person doing it. Adding pages as discussed earlier will help keep the authority on the main site as well as keep your SEO efforts focused on one site. (site.com/page) Adding a sub-domain (topic.domain.com) which I think the OP is trying to do, will only double your workload. Now, if you have a staff, this may not be an issue. But you will have to build authority for the sub domain as well as the main site. Just another aspect to look at.

#26 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Aug 27 2009, 04:51 PM) View Post
Search engines don't care how many sites are hosted on an IP address. They care about what those sites are doing and what other sites do about them.

How can you possibly know that with any certainty?

#27 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:45 AM

"It takes almost as much effort to build value into a microsite as into a flagship site, so you have to look at return on investment."
VERY TRUE.

"I have found there is almost no SEO value in using multiple C-Class IP address blocks to host related sites. The only SEO value I have found is in counter-intelligence measures (preventing, discouraging, or hindering other SEOs in their investigations of Web sites)."
True. But if you are building 100s of microsites, NOT TRUE.

smile.gif

#28 hitweb

hitweb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

It sounds to me that the use of the term mini-site or sub-site or micro-site in this thread could be also referred to as a landing page. I've been reading up on landing pages and how they can be very effective SEO tools as well as conversion tools. Creating a targeted landing page that is specific to a product or feature is a great way to get people that have searched for a specific thing, and staying focused on that one thing, when they get to your site. Now, I don't think that landing pages are very effective with natural search engine listings (because of the time it takes) but with a good PPC campaign a landing page or mini-site, can more effectively tell a visitor about the product and move them through the purchase process very smoothly and without distraction.

I recommend doing a search on "Landing Pages" and seeing if that is what you mean by mini-sites. There's tons of helpful information.

#29 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

Landing pages have nothing to do with what domain they appear on, so are not micro or mini site. A micro or mini site could and should have landing pages, but every domain should have landing pages.

As far as the larger discussion goes, micro and mini sites can have their uses, but the reasoning for using them or not needs to be for reasons other than SEO. Because on the SEO front they just mean more work.

#30 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(kynduvme @ Aug 31 2009, 06:39 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Aug 27 2009, 04:51 PM)

How can you possibly know that with any certainty?

The fact that search engineers have repeatedly denied using IP addresses to filter sites out of search results is a pretty good indicator but you don't have to take my word for it. There are plenty of queries you can use to test what happens.

The whole "C-class/IP address" SEO myth came out of very bad analyses people handed around for years that looked at the Hilltop and LocalRank algorithms, neither of which are used in Main Web Search.

Hilltop was developed for Google News, which was unveiled in 2002.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!