• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Effective Are Mini Sites Seo Wise?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 icebaby25

icebaby25

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:42 AM

Hi Friends,

There this website which has pretty good PR and doing good traffic wise however with some flaws here n dere sometimes the traffic fluctuates which is natural I guess!! What I need to know is by adding mini sites/portals to this kinda website are there any chances of the traffic getting hurt or are they harmful SEO wise. Basic idea behind mini sites/portals is enhanced services provided by this website for that specific industry. How do I look in to it for SEO features and other technicalities. Thanks in Advance!!

#2 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:20 AM

The better question is why do you want mini sites? The saying goes, 'jack of all trades, master of none, and by having lots of little sites, which are all really part of the main site content wise, you end up watering down the authority of the main site.

I would prefer to have one main site that is structured properly, than a load of mini sites. Search engines are moving towwards authroity more and more, and the mini site approach is going to wor less and less as time goes by.

#3 icebaby25

icebaby25

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:27 AM

thanks for the reply oldwelshguy, the reason for having these mini sites is that the main website already has services with its own categories n subcategories so may be to make it look a lil lighter or cleaner so to say the idea of mini sites came up, as for mini sites that would contain all the information regarding that particular service we trying to sell. I understand the authority issue with google, but why would it hurt if at all we have a mini site thats just a part of the main website. Thanks.

#4 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE(icebaby25 @ Aug 13 2009, 04:27 AM) View Post
thanks for the reply oldwelshguy, the reason for having these mini sites is that the main website already has services with its own categories n subcategories so may be to make it look a lil lighter or cleaner so to say the idea of mini sites came up, as for mini sites that would contain all the information regarding that particular service we trying to sell. I understand the authority issue with google, but why would it hurt if at all we have a mini site thats just a part of the main website. Thanks.

At this point it would be best if I ask you to define what you consider a mini site within another site to be .

#5 icebaby25

icebaby25

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Aug 13 2009, 03:44 AM) View Post
At this point it would be best if I ask you to define what you consider a mini site within another site to be .

Mini site would be another sub domain probably like demo.abc.com/services and so on and it would only display one particular service we trying to sell, it would contain all its information from images, demos, work flow etc that mini site would just be like another web page but just within the website..Thanks

#6 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

Ok so we are talking about sub domains then on the same domain. I would simply say that if they are beneficial for the end user, then do it, but by and large there really is no need for them. An example of where they can be benficial is where the main site is a holding site, and the company offers totally different services.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:44 PM

Micro sites or mini sites can be extremely powerful resources if they are closely associated with their parent brands but nonetheless have substantial sub-brand value in themselves. It takes almost as much effort to build value into a microsite as into a flagship site, so you have to look at return on investment.

Creating microsites is not my first choice for enhancing the value of a flagship site.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:18 PM

Sounds like you're just talking about adding another page or pages to your site, which is of course, fine.

#9 icebaby25

icebaby25

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 13 2009, 08:18 PM) View Post
Sounds like you're just talking about adding another page or pages to your site, which is of course, fine.

Thank you all for your replies. No Jill am talking about a sub domain not adding pages to my website. also am not doing this to enhance the flagship of this website but to market the service we are about to launch.

#10 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:34 AM

I know this sounds like beating the drum again, but does it make logical sense from a user point of view? If it does (honestly), then it is in all probablility fine. Usability is the key here, seo is a bonus, if people get to your site due to the SEO benefits, but leave because of the annoying bouncing between sub divisions of the site, then it will be wasted as your ultimate goal (conversions) will suffer.

#11 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

An alternative way of applying the same effort might be to add a blog to the website. Individual posts could refer to what might have appeared on the minisites. You can then even add in news items on these.

The blog brings several seo advantages, not least that there is a RSS newsfeed to alert Google rapidly to new content. It may be worth thinking about.

#12 smc_online

smc_online

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

Like everyone has pointed out, its best to look at your approach from your end user's point of view. What ever will serve your users best is the way to go.

I think that the concept of minisites, microsites, or what ever you want to call them are misunderstood these days. I used this strategy 9 years ago to properly localize and promote an international brand. I called them "sub sites" at the time because they had/have their own branded TLD. The strategy proved extremely successful. Why? Because the intent was to present localized and relevant information about the brand's products and services.

#13 WebDeb

WebDeb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:52 AM

I don't mean to rock the boat of conventional wisdom on the topic, but I create mini websites for my clients frequently and find them extremely effective.

It might best work in an industry that is structured into service and sales with a small inventory, as the one I work in. My clients sell high end products that range in the $500,000 to $2.5 million dollar range. Searches for these products are extremely specific since much research goes into making these purchases. Using multi-word keyword terms, visitors find the products they are seeking on these sites that rank well with simple and meticulous on-page optimization. There are many variations in the product names and I strive to cover all of the bases for global and regional searchers within the content. I basically consider these specific online product brochures that contain all of the information that the visitor could possibly be searching for, so the sites are developed for the visitor. Since my clients change some of their manufacturers every couple of years, the mini sites are simply discontinued when the last product is sold. (and I shed a tear for the loss of a great ranking site that someone else could benefit from) So these sites are not developed to endure for decades.

Some people are searching for service, some for credibility, some for price in this market. The corporate sites define benefits and provide incentives in all of these areas well, and make thorough mention of the advantages of the products. Often these general sites rank well for the specific product searches, and the mini sites developed for them rank high as well. When there are several above the fold results for one client on page one of Google, it is hard to not consider them the most likely company to spend your money with.

I see the mini site similar to collateral materials you print to describe different product lines you carry or manufacture. It isn't an "instead of" site. It is a quick and to the point review of specific information without all of the fluff.

I say go for it.

#14 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hi Web Deb,

did you read that he is in fact talking about sub domains rather than totally independent sites? I agree with much of what you say if it applies, but not with regard sub domains, as it defeats the whole object IMO

#15 WebDeb

WebDeb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Aug 14 2009, 01:20 PM) View Post
Hi Web Deb,

did you read that he is in fact talking about sub domains rather than totally independent sites? I agree with much of what you say if it applies, but not with regard sub domains, as it defeats the whole object IMO

Hi OldWelshGuy. Sure... I caught it. I was just excited to see the topic and thought I could add to the discussion since I use the method of mini sites frequently. Thanks for keeping me in line, though. embarrassed.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!