• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

We're Getting Page #1 Positions From "a B C", But Not Fr

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

Hi all

This is a bit complicated to describe unless I talk specifically about it, so bear with me. Let's say I have a web site which sells bicycles (I don't). Analytics is reporting that my web site gets clicks (and therefore reasonable positions) on "Mongoose Elite Bicycles" but not on "Mongoose Bicycles", where Mongoose is the name of the people who made the bike, and Elite is the brandname of the bike.

Is this because the " A B C", or maker, name, object search is less competitive than the "A C", or maker object search ? Or is it more likely that I have not correctly optimised my site correctly for the " A C " search ?

The site follows the wordtracker.com suggested method of main page, category, sub-category, these being the A B and C detailed above.

Hope this makes sense, I think I've just confused myself.

Thanks.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

It's probably a bit of both CN.

As a very general rule the Mongoose Elite Bicycles type of phrase would normally be less competitive. Meaning more people would be talking about Mongoose Bicycles, but less talking about the exact model by name. So there would naturally be less direct competition for the full three word phrase.

That said, people could be talking about the Elite model, but simply don't have the full phrase in their copy as an exact phrase. For instance they could have more generic a title like Mongoose Bicycles on a page that talks about the Elite model by name, but where the word Elite never actually makes it into the page title or the exact term Mongoose Elite Bicycles didn't make it into the copy as a phrase. So although they may think they're optimizing for the Elite model, they're not doing it nearly as well as they could.

FTR, on the marketing side of things I've found that more often than not the more specific phrase converts at a much higher rate than the less specific phrase. Searchers who use less specific search terms are often doing more window shopping and aren't really in a buying frame of mind. Whereas searchers who get fairly specific have already done their window shopping and are ready to buy.

#3 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Aug 10 2009, 05:04 PM) View Post
FTR, on the marketing side of things I've found that more often than not the more specific phrase converts at a much higher rate than the less specific phrase. Searchers who use less specific search terms are often doing more window shopping and aren't really in a buying frame of mind. Whereas searchers who get fairly specific have already done their window shopping and are ready to buy.

So we're missing a whole bunch of browsers to find a smaller amount of buyers then (as much as I would like to find both of them). On that basis, we are accidentally on the right path ! smile.gif Hmmm - Maybe I should consider a link building exercise on these keywords - only trouble with that is these days people want paying for links - well if google does through adwords, why shouldn't they i suppose...

My thanks as always Randy, excellent advice.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

Well, if it's any consolation you're sort of optimizing for the more competitive Mongoose Bicycles phrase when you optimize for the longer phrase. It'll be natural for the exact phrase "Mongoose Bicycles" to appear either on the same page or on the site somewhere. Think a typical shopping cart with categories and breadcrumb navigation. Where the breadcrumb navigation on the Elite page may look something like Home > Bicycles > Mongoose Bicycles

Sure you may need to put a bit more effort into attracting the window shoppers in the first place, but with a little time, some effective marketing of your site and a little bit of luck it's quite likely you'll eventually start ranking for the more generic phrase.

#5 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Aug 10 2009, 05:24 PM) View Post
Well, if it's any consolation you're sort of optimizing for the more competitive Mongoose Bicycles phrase when you optimize for the longer phrase. It'll be natural for the exact phrase "Mongoose Bicycles" to appear either on the same page or on the site somewhere. Think a typical shopping cart with categories and breadcrumb navigation. Where the breadcrumb navigation on the Elite page may look something like Home > Bicycles > Mongoose Bicycles

Sure you may need to put a bit more effort into attracting the window shoppers in the first place, but with a little time, some effective marketing of your site and a little bit of luck it's quite likely you'll eventually start ranking for the more generic phrase.

We do indeed use breadcrumbs like that on the "Mongoose Elite Bicycles" page, I guess it's about getting inbound links into the "Mongoose Bicycles" page to improve the positioning of that page though. I'll contact some forums and see if I can get links for links I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.