• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Lost Ton Of Rankings Friday

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

So, Friday I check rankings I've had for main client for ages that I have been keeping up and man, I got wiped out. NOt banned or anything but , wow a lot of main keywords plain dropped. What the heck can I do? Change,add, subtract and pray?

(title should be LOST not list)

Edited by kynduvme, 10 August 2009 - 11:35 AM.

#2 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:41 AM

nothing , wait, see what happens. Temporary drops are common, they may come back on the next reindex.

If you did something recently which may have caused it, still wait, and if no improvements on the next index then reverse it. The worse thing you can do now is try and rectify it when you dont know for sure whats happened.

#3 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Aug 10 2009, 12:41 PM) View Post
nothing , wait, see what happens. Temporary drops are common, they may come back on the next reindex.

If you did something recently which may have caused it, still wait, and if no improvements on the next index then reverse it. The worse thing you can do now is try and rectify it when you dont know for sure whats happened.

Thanks, good advice, this will result in 60% decrease in traffic so far, UUUGGGGHH

#4 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:23 PM

tell your client its down to an index shuffle .. then suggest adwords to top the visits up. Not much else you can do.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

It's impossible to say what if anything you should do. Depends on what you may have already done.

But waiting for a bit is usually good advice, assuming you hadn't done anything recently.

#6 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 10 2009, 07:43 PM) View Post
It's impossible to say what if anything you should do. Depends on what you may have already done.

But waiting for a bit is usually good advice, assuming you hadn't done anything recently.

I have made NO major changes. I haven't been aggressively link building however. Perhaps I was resting on my laurels. I am thinking about just getting the site in some directories for some quality permanent links. I did not previously need this but I am thinking this is a sensible direction to go. I am in auto finance industry so its highly competetive the first 10k listings are SEO'd to a t. The only thing separating myself and competetors in quality and quantity of in links and insite links etc. Perhaps I need to grow the sites information which I have not updated in some times. Easy to become complacent when something is so successful for so long (first page for "car loans" google and yahoo for the past year. rediculously good ranking now gone)

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Try your queries on this URL:

http://www2.sandbox.google.com/

This is a sandbox for the next update at Google, just announced today. They've only presaged a major update once or twice before that I can recall so this is a unique opportunity for you to evaluate how your site may fare under the next generation of Google's algorithms. You also have the option of providing them feedback.

Current thinking is that this new Google (it's a rebuild of their crawling and indexing architectures) may favor real-time searching in social media, but keep in mind that people outside of Google have (at this writing) had only a few hours to play with it. I think you'll see lots of speculation in coming weeks and no doubt most of it will miss the mark.

Anyway, if you see improvement there, perhaps your woes are only temporarily and may only indicate you were "caught on the fence", so to speak, as Google changes gears.

I do NOT know when the new search engine goes live. I would guess maybe sometime in October, perhaps November at the latest. You'll have to keep an eye on Google for better information than that. Of course, sites like SE Roundtable, SearchEngineLand, and Search Engine Journal should publish the latest information as it becomes available.

#8 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:33 PM

yeah i tried that google (arent they calling it google caffeine?) today, but its not showing any updated info just yet.. still the same as the regular google as far as i could see, but to be fair i only checked a few pages.

#9 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Aug 11 2009, 04:33 PM) View Post
yeah i tried that google (arent they calling it google caffeine?) today, but its not showing any updated info just yet.. still the same as the regular google as far as i could see, but to be fair i only checked a few pages.

I think they should not attempt to follow and index social media updates in realtime it will be too easily manipulated by black hatters

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

Lots of things are easily manipulated by black hat SEOs already. I suspect the demand for real-time searching outweighs the user discomfort at having to wade through garbage, though.

But please remember that I am only sharing the first round of speculations. Whether Google is really targeting real-time social media indexing is anyone's guess at this point.

We have seen virtually no change in some of our keywords and significant changes in other keywords here at work, but we're tracking a LOT of keywords. I would not expect much in the way of significant changes on the first day.

Here is an idea of things that could change (or which Google has said will change). Keep in mind, there is no real substance to anyone's speculation right now. Anything marked as "speculative" is a public guess made by one or more people on blogs (and may or may not coincide with my own private guesses).
  • Faster crawling of the Web (announced by Google -- you may not see any difference on your site)
  • Better indexing of the Web (announced by Google -- you may not see any difference for your site)
  • New filters on content (speculative)
  • New filters on links (speculative)
  • New levels of differentiation between "good", "acceptable", "tolerable", "bad", etc. listings (speculative)
  • New variations on universal search injections (suggested by several bloggers, including Vanessa Fox)
  • New types of universal search injections (speculative)
  • More efficient listings -- better descriptions, titles, more informative, etc (speculative)

I am sure that list will become extremely long before people give up observing, guessing, and sharing. Don't hold your breath for any of it.

I did notice one other interesting thing today. The Webmaster Central team announced new tools for hosting providers to make available to their users. It looks like Google wants to be a big player in the next generation of Web mashup techniques and styles.

#11 Rajesh

Rajesh

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Aug 12 2009, 01:38 AM) View Post
Try your queries on this URL:

http://www2.sandbox.google.com/

Hi Michael Martinez

Can you explain more about it ?

If any site is listing here in top 20 it means what i have to think ? Its good or bad ?

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:28 AM

Nobody knows more about it at this point Rajesh. The preview was just announced in the last 24 hours or so. And I hope you don't expect Google to come right out and say This new algo does this instead of that and this other thing differently than we used to. They're not going to give out anything close to deep details for obvious reasons.

If your site isn't already competing in the .com world, say if you target a regional market exclusively, the preview isn't going to be of much use to you. If your site is competing in the .com world then you can search side-by-side with the regular Google and the preview to see how your site rankings might behave after the switchover.

#13 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:40 AM

Got all my rankings back over the weekend, thank god, It was literally 250 major traffic generating rankings dropped, Then re-entered. weird.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

Perhaps it had something to do with Google's latest update called "caffeine"?

#15 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 17 2009, 01:12 PM) View Post
Perhaps it had something to do with Google's latest update called "caffeine"?

perhaps, I suppose as per usual, all we can do is speculate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!