• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Homepage To Blog Index Page

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Terri Z

Terri Z

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:48 PM

Hi!

My website has previously been constructed with a static home page, a blog (in a /blog folder), and a lot of other content as well. I finally took the plunge and decided to make my blog index page, my home page. I followed the instructions in Wordpress for how to do this; however I discovered that it changed all my blog links from home.com/blog/postlink to home.com/postlink. I don't want this because I want it to be obvious to the user when they are in the blog vs. in other parts of the site. So what I really want is home.com = blog home page, all other blog pages in the /blog folder (i.e., /blog/postlink)

I've accomplished this...with one small, but potentially significant SEO issue. home.com shows my blog index page, cool. home.com/blog shows the exact same page...not cool. I've not figured out a way to redirect just home.com/blog to home.com, without having all /blog pages redirect to home.com (the index page).

I think I'm facing a duplicate content issue...wondering if it really is an issue and if so, how do I fix it?
One solution would be to redirect home.com > home.com/blog -- are there any SEO ramifications of having my home page "reside" in a subdirectory??

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Terri Z

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

One solution would be to redirect home.com > home.com/blog -- are there any SEO ramifications of having my home page "reside" in a subdirectory??

No, there are no issues whatsoever as long as you make sure the home.com/ to /home.com/blog/ redirect gives a 301 status code.

Either way will work as far as the search engines are concerned. If you're only redirecting the root level home page you could even do it at the script or file level, which would certainly help to limit the effect.

If you plan to use use .htaccess (assuming you're on a Unix/Linux) you'll simply need to make sure you limit which files get redirected. This applies no matter which direction you send the redirect.

If you can let us know what type of server your site is running on we should be able to offer some further suggestions.

#3 Terri Z

Terri Z

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

Excellent, thanks Randy! I did a php redirect and all seems to be working well.

Thanks, as always, for the wonderful advice!
Terri Z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.