• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Drop In Keyword Ranking

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sanman

sanman

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Since last few days I have noticed that my few sites have lost its ranking considerably, the site that was on page 2 is now in page 180, any suggestion or idea why it has happened, or google is updating its DC? Now almost two weeks has passed since I noticed the drop in ranking.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

1. How old is the site?
  2. How long was it ranking well?
  3. Did it lose rankings for all of the other phrases you may have optimized it for?
  4. Have you lost any traffic to the site?
  5. Have you lost conversions and/or sales?
  6. What did you do that may have been perceived as a way to trick Google?

#3 sanman

sanman

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 6 2009, 06:43 PM) View Post
  1. How old is the site?
  2. How long was it ranking well?
  3. Did it lose rankings for all of the other phrases you may have optimized it for?
  4. Have you lost any traffic to the site?
  5. Have you lost conversions and/or sales?
  6. What did you do that may have been perceived as a way to trick Google?

- One site is 2 + years, another site is 1+ years and the third is only 6 months (so not much issue with it)
- The site that is 2+ years was ranking well since last two months, as SEO was started only since last 4 months and in that 4 months the site came to 2nd page from 500 page. For this site, one month before also this has happened when it was on 5th page, at that time it went to page 150 and then came back to 5th page in a week, but this time after two weeks it is still in 100 + page.
-all keywords have lost its ranking.
- traffic is low, as it is not in top page, it is natural.
- conversion wise not much difference as it has not reached 1st page (it was on 2nd page)
- I have done - directory submission, article submission, blog posting etc and not performed any bad techniques.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

3 different sites?

Are they all offering the same basic info, products or services?

If so, that's probably your answer. You'd be better off to have just one great site.

#5 sanman

sanman

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 6 2009, 06:58 PM) View Post
3 different sites?

Are they all offering the same basic info, products or services?

If so, that's probably your answer. You'd be better off to have just one great site.

All sites offer different services. Nothing relates to each other, totally different offerings

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

So what is the common denominator between the sites? Is there one specific thing that may be somewhat shady which you did to them all?

Seems very odd that three sites in different niches would all see a big drop like that. Are you cross-linking them perhaps? Or linking to bad neighborhoods?

Have you had server problems or outages? Recently move servers?

#7 sanman

sanman

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 6 2009, 07:09 PM) View Post
So what is the common denominator between the sites? Is there one specific thing that may be somewhat shady which you did to them all?

Seems very odd that three sites in different niches would all see a big drop like that. Are you cross-linking them perhaps? Or linking to bad neighborhoods?

Have you had server problems or outages? Recently move servers?

For the other two sites, I believe not much SEO has been done, but the first one with 2+ years of online exposure is worrying me a lot as it has reached to 2nd page for one keyword in 4 months and other keywords are also picking up, but suddenly it dropped, I believed it happened because Google is doing some kind of update, because earlier also I faced such kind of situation but it was automatically solved in couple of days, but this time after two weeks, the keyword is still in 100+ position and I am unable to figure out the problem (some day it comes to 150 and the other day 180, but never coming to its 2nd position), as far as I know, I have not done any thing shady, also these three sites are not cross linked either (as said before other two sites I do not have much concern, as not much SEO has been performed on them).

#8 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

Could it be that your competitors made improvements?

One thing I've learned over the years is that rankings move up and down without me doing anything to influence 'em (one way or the other). Back in 2007, Google did a shuffle and dropped all of the pages from a hobby website of mine. Not one page existed in their index. I did absolutely nothing but wait and within 3-4 months the site was back to were it used to be. It's Google's game and their ball. There's nothing you can do except the due diligence of good SEO and copy writing and continue to get quality external links pointing to your sites. Eventually, your rankings will grow for the various keywords. Patience is the hat all SEOs should be comfortable wearing; else you'll lose hair and sleep.

Lastly, if your rankings are tanking and you're losing money from SE sales, then I'd strongly suggest you start running PPCs to make up for the difference until your rankings return to a profitable level.

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Did you take part in any linking program or blog/article spamming type of thing?

If it's an update sites can swing wildly. If sites are new they can swing wildly. If you're saying the domains were registered for a couple of years but they just started being built 3 or 4 months ago, they're still new so I would expect them to swing wildly.

But if a site has been well established for years and suddenly takes a nose dive that's not attributable to an index update, then you've probably done something that ran afoul of the guidelines. What I've seen happen most often in those cases is that the site had basically no linking profile, then a lot of questionable link building was done and rankings jump up for a short time. When the site was put under heavier scrutiny and the questionable link building was discovered and devalued the site dropped back down to it's normal place or lower.

#10 sanman

sanman

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:38 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Aug 7 2009, 12:45 AM) View Post
Did you take part in any linking program or blog/article spamming type of thing?

If it's an update sites can swing wildly. If sites are new they can swing wildly. If you're saying the domains were registered for a couple of years but they just started being built 3 or 4 months ago, they're still new so I would expect them to swing wildly.

But if a site has been well established for years and suddenly takes a nose dive that's not attributable to an index update, then you've probably done something that ran afoul of the guidelines. What I've seen happen most often in those cases is that the site had basically no linking profile, then a lot of questionable link building was done and rankings jump up for a short time. When the site was put under heavier scrutiny and the questionable link building was discovered and devalued the site dropped back down to it's normal place or lower.

Randy - I have not participated in any linking program, what I have done is only article submission, directory submission and blog posting, it is true that these activities has been started since last four months and during these four months the site gained good ranking before this drop. Also, there is no over SEO done because before four months there was 200 backlinks and now after four months 500 backlinks, so no questionable link building has been done, it is what I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!